It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Associate "Filed against" with a default "Owned by" without hard-coding the relationship

Brandon Van Slyke (1035) | asked Jun 17 '14, 6:55 p.m.
edited Jun 17 '14, 6:56 p.m.
I want to solve the same problem as the question asked here: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/104716/rtc-401-how-can-i-set-an-owned-by-default-based-on-the-value-of-filed-against

But I'm wondering how to associate owners to categories without hard-coding the relationship. Like with the previously asked question, when someone makes a selection for the "Filed against" field in a work item, I want a user to be automatically selected in the "Owned by" field. I know I can use a Script Based Calculated Value to return a user ID based on the contents of the "Filed Against" field, but as far as I can tell, I would need to hard-code this association. Instead, I would like a privileged user to be able to make this association through a GUI.  Is there any way that this can be accomplished?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Jun 17 '14, 8:20 p.m.
You could do a Server-side participant that runs after the save that *if* the user did not assign an owner, you could do some setting.  The FiledAgainst field (Category) gets mapped to a Team Area, and you could have a specific role (like "default owner".  During your SSP, you could look to see if OwnedBy is set and if not, get the Team Area, load the users and roles of that team area, find the person with the "Default Owner" role, and set the Owned By.

Brandon Van Slyke selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jun 17 '14, 11:39 p.m.

He asked for a way without writing any extension. 

Brandon Van Slyke commented Jun 18 '14, 5:51 p.m. | edited Jun 18 '14, 5:55 p.m.

Hi Susan, this sounds like it'll be the route I'll end up taking; thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found a workshop (https://jazz.net/library/article/1000) that looks like it explains how to create a server-side participant, so I'll be taking a look at that. Thanks!

Sam, I meant that I didn't want to have the relationship between categories and users written into the code (e.g. a map between category ID's and user ID's just stored the code as a variable) since I want that GUI-editable; sorry if I wasn't clear in my post, I should have mentioned that I was writing a script or plugin.

One other answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jun 17 '14, 8:16 p.m.
there is no built-in way (check a box) to make this work.

the user creating/updating the workitem CAN assign it, but generally to anyone registered on the system.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.