It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 4.0.6 & 5.0RC1 - simple Backup & Restore

Eyal G. Mizrachi (144) | asked Jun 15 '14, 5:43 a.m.

Hi,

I would like a simple way to backup  & restore the server.
- i have succeeded using 7zip archiving and extracting the server folder <<< is this the *correct* way ?
- i need the ability to un7zip from 4.0.6 version into 5.0RC1  and vise...<<< any other way ?
- is there a way to backup single project area - and restore it ?
- is there a way to get a "freeze" image of server content - and restore to it ?
- are there any QA users which testing RTC ? with which tools ?

#RTC
#SCM

Regards,
Eyal G. Mizrachi

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 15 '14, 10:44 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

On question 3: No, there is no way to backup a single project area and restore it.  Because RTC makes it very hard to delete key data, and because RTC keeps a history of most key data objects, we find that it is usual better to "patch out" the bad data, rather than rolling back the whole project area (and lose good data with the bad).
On question 4: What is the difference between a "freeze" image you can restore, and a "backup" you can restore?

Eyal G. Mizrachi commented Jun 16 '14, 8:09 a.m.

What i mean is that RTC consists of a DB part - is there ANY way i can reverse it
so it would return to a certain point at time ? (vs. backup - which involves also files)

One answer

permanent link
Georg Kellner (840378108) | answered Jun 16 '14, 7:46 a.m.
1.) If your file system isn't backup regularly, a .zip of the ...\server will backup the necessary things.
2.) As the database schema from 4.0.6 and 5.0 differs, it doesn't make sense to unzip from 4.x to 5.x or vice versa.
3. and 4. took Geoffrey
5.) What do you mean with "testing RTC"?

Comments
Eyal G. Mizrachi commented Jun 16 '14, 8:16 a.m.

1) does regular backup knows how to take directories with depth greater then 25 ? (Microsoft limitation)
2) is there any way of backing up certain version - and run a script which "put"s this backup "instead" of a 5.0 version DB ? just like upgrading would do (vs. upgrade which does it LIVE - on concurrent installation)
3) OK - so no project area backup - how about Component / Stream / Snapshot ?
4) Geoffrey has been answered...........waiting for his precious reply
5) testing RTC = developer wrote plugins for RTC - and i need to test each time new plugins being build - hence i have a series of actions on RTC to do each time in order to check its reliability (open RTC - browse to component - open its stream - find its related items .............etc...)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.