It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Questions regarding "Restrict the Maximum Number of In-progress and Pending Builds" build precondition

Gennie Lindgren (1111) | asked Jun 03 '14, 11:43 a.m.
We want to limit the number of active builds that occur per build definition and had some questions regarding using the "Restrict the Maximum Number of In-progress and Pending Builds" build precondition.

1) Is this count per build definition? per team area (e.g "RPT Dev Team,"  "RPT Maintenance Team")?  per project area?             
              2) Does this affect personal builds?

Is there a documentation that describes the build preconditions you can point me to?  Thanks!

One answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Jun 03 '14, 9:03 p.m.

Hi Gennie,

I could not find any existing document to explain the "Restrict the Maximum Number of In-progress and Pending Builds" precondition.

From my testing result, the count of the build request takes effect per build definition including personal build. Hope the information is helpful.

Comments
Gennie Lindgren commented Jun 16 '14, 9:19 a.m.

Hi Lily,

Thanks for your response! What is the "Maximum Number"? Is this something that can be set when the precondition is active?

Do you know of any use case for this precondition?  The reason why I ask is that we want to enable the whole team to be able to request "I" builds but since we have a chain of 12 - 14 builds, we want to prevent multiple members from running one build right after another.  Have you encountered this scenario before?  Any tips on how we can use RTC to limit the number of simultaneous "I" builds? We were thinking that the "Restrict the Maximum Number of In-Progress and Pending Builds" could work for us but since it considers "personal" builds as well, this precondition, probably will not help us.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

Lily Wang commented Jun 16 '14, 11:53 p.m.

Hi Gennie,

Yes, this is a setting after you enable the precondition.

And from my testing, the precondition also count personal build.

For your requirement, as you are using "i" build, what's the build engine do you use? If you are using Build Agent, is it possible to add some limitation on build server side?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.