It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to fetch from data sets only some selected value in a Birt report

Mathieu Defianas (15942838) | asked Jun 03 '14, 11:14 a.m.
edited Jun 03 '14, 11:17 a.m.
Hello,
I have created a BIRT report on RTC 4.0.0. which prints some details from only some workitems.
So I have created a parameter on my BIRT report. The values of this parameter are set when report is executed by a user selection of some Workitems.
No problem, I have correctly my selected values on my parameter.
Then I use this values on each Data Sets with a filter. I use for example this syntax :

This syntax is correct and returns wanted values because I can use the operator "IN".

However, this is a filter and I have just learnt that filter is applied after data sets is fetched ... So if many many data are reported from data sets, the filter is useless...

I have discovered that it's better to use a parameter because data are filtered with this parameter before data sets are fetched ... And so many data are not returned !!!

Problem : how can I use an operator as "IN" in the parameter configuration window ...
I see that I can set a specific value but not a value which is stored on a parameter list.

Thanks for your help
Regards

Mathieu

One answer

permanent link
Bill Taylor (1441533) | answered Jun 03 '14, 3:44 p.m.
If you use a Jazz Advanced Data Set, create a parameter (WI_ID_FILTER say) with a value linked to the parameter, then in the filter box, type:

WI_ID in WI_ID_FILTER

Comments
Mathieu Defianas commented Jun 03 '14, 3:49 p.m.

Thanks Bill for this response. It works for filter but I would like to use a parameter in order of a filter.
In fact, with the parameter, the selection is done before than data are fetched whereas filter is applied after all data are collected ...
So I would like to use parameter with multi value but the operator IN should not be available.
Mathieu

Bill Taylor commented Jun 03 '14, 4:02 p.m.

There are two filters in a data set. The filter tab gives you a post-fetch filter - not sure how useful this is. But the Filter section in the main tab is a pre-fetch filter I believe.

I'm not sure I fully understand your response. A multi-value text parameter is a bit tricky and I'm not sure Integer fields support the use of "in"

Mathieu Defianas commented Jun 03 '14, 4:05 p.m.

I am going to explore this new filter tomorrow.
Thanks a lot

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.