It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can an Enumeration list stored in database be populated automatically?

Michelle Stein (1579) | asked May 29 '14, 11:53 a.m.
I'm lazy. I have a custom enumeration list with many values, to be stored in the database so non-admins can be given permission to edit. Don't want to retype them all.

Is there an import or other function I can use to automate the initial creation of the list? I can do this by editing the XML for process-stored enum lists, but I don't see a way to do this for db storage.

Thanks.

One answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered May 30 '14, 3:26 a.m.
Hi Michelle,
We really do not recommend to modify data directly in the database. I would advise you to modify XML for process template here.

Comments
Michelle Stein commented May 30 '14, 6:24 a.m.

I agree, I don't want to modify the database directly. But I do want a controlled and approved method for importing data to an Enumeration list. Retyping the values is error-prone and time consuming. And would have to be repeated for migrating to production. Modifying the XML would be possible if I didn't want the enum list stored in the database for reasons stated above.

Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.