It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC scm - howto handle the copyright character '©'

Thorsten Ferres (1367) | asked May 27 '14, 11:16 a.m.
We need to import a lot of files from an existing cvs repository into the RTC source code management (scm) which contain the copyright character '©'.

Can RTC also handle files that contain this sign using 8859-1 or windows-125x character encoding - '0xA9' or does it only allow to use the copyright sign using UTF-8 encoding - '0xC2A9' ?

One answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered May 27 '14, 11:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
As long as the encoding that you choose for the file supports the copyright character then you'll be fine. I believe the ones you mention do support that character so you'll be ok.

Comments
Thorsten Ferres commented May 28 '14, 5:09 a.m.

When I tried to add a file with the copyright character encoded as '0xA9' using the lscm command line interface, the property 'Character Encoding' was set to 'UTF-8' and the property 'Line Delimiter' was set to 'None' automatically which were not the properties I wanted to be set.
When I try to change the property 'Line Delimiter' to e.g. 'Platform' now, I always get the  error message:

Could not set file properties

Reason:
File /PATH/FILENAME has contents that do not match its encoding.
Change the encoding of the file.

<<Details
Input length = 1

But there is no option - at least not in the eclipse RTC client - to change the character encoding property of a file.

Tim Mok commented May 28 '14, 8:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

'0xC2A9' is the character code for the copyright character in UTF-8. When using '0xA9', it is correct for Windows-125x but not UTF-8. You'll have to change the character to use the correct character code to match your file encoding.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.