It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to connect predecessor & successor stories?

Monica Gupta (626) | asked May 21 '14, 8:55 a.m.
How to define predecessor and successor relationship between different stories and Tasks.
So the kind of flow that one can create in visio can it be replicated in RTC?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered May 21 '14, 9:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 21 '14, 9:14 a.m.
The agile planning with the agile scheduler does not - as far as I can tell - know a predecessor/successor relationship. This is a feature of traditional planning.

You can not create this relationship and it would also ignored and not have any impact on the scheduler if you could.

As far as I am aware Agile does not know anything about these dependencies either.

You could use a depends on/blocks relationship to show something like that. Again, the scheduler won't take this into consideration. You would have to do that yourself.

Comments
Monica Gupta commented May 21 '14, 10:12 a.m. | edited May 21 '14, 10:41 a.m.

Perhaps I used the incorrect terminology, let me attempt again:

My user story story has multiple children tasks, is there a way to sequence these children tasks in RTC, beyond the normal Parent Child relationship

Ralph Schoon commented May 21 '14, 10:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As far as I can tell, there is none. You can use ranking to some extend, but there is no explicit way of making sure the order is kept. You could use the blocking relationship to indicate it, but if a user starts a task before a blocking is finished, there is nothing to stop him.

If you want to change the order later, users would have to do that in their My work view as far as I know at least in RTC 4.x and before. The order would also only be related to the owner of the task and not across multiple owners. Not sure that answers your question, however.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.