It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Attachment Size Limit for Work Items

Jerh O'Connor (212) | asked Oct 04 '07, 11:19 a.m.
retagged Jul 08 '13, 5:33 p.m. by Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan (2512)
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the size attachments that can be added to a Work Item and if so what that limit is and if it is configurable?

Thanks,

Jerh.

4 answers

permanent link
Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan (2512) | answered Jul 08 '13, 5:32 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jerh,

You can also reference this topic in the information center: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/topic/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_creating_work_items_web.html. Step 3 describes changing the attachment size limit.

Thanks,

Jenn

permanent link
Jerh O'Connor (212) | answered Oct 08 '07, 4:15 a.m.
Thanks James.

permanent link
James Synge (511) | answered Oct 05 '07, 10:42 a.m.
At present, the limits are the minimum of:

* The amount of free space on the disk where attachments and files are temporarily stored during uploading
* The maximum size of a BLOB column in the database

In practice, this is one GB.

James

permanent link
Stephane Leroy (1.4k149) | answered Jul 08 '13, 9:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

this new TechNote describes how to perform this change:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21641142

Warning: before increasing this value to a higher value, as an administrator, I recommend that you 1st evaluate the possible drawbacks of accepting such heavy attachments in the repository, especially its possible (bad) effect on the DB size and the Jazz server performance.

Regards,
Stéphane

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jul 08 '13, 11:58 a.m.

Note that attachments are very hard to clean up.  If there is any reference to the attachment it will not be actually deleted. (and there is no UI mechanism to see what is referencing a file)..

By default, the maximum size of an attachment that can be added to a Work Item in RTC is 50 MB.

Cláudio de Sá Rodrigues commented Oct 25 '13, 10:07 a.m.

TechNote is very useful. In some cases is important to be able to attach large files. A good practice through review suggest to the owner that the workitem to complete the task remove the attached file, if it is no more necessary. Cleaning is  effective in the database when we exclude ?

sam detweiler commented Oct 25 '13, 10:14 a.m.

I do not know. if there is ANY reference to the attachment (its use count is >0) , it will not actually be removed. there is currently no user/administrator method to find references, or see the reference count for an attachment.
(hm.. that would be a useful tool).

History might be a reference...

Stephane Leroy commented Oct 25 '13, 12:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

AFAIK: 3.0RC0 "What's new"  states the space is freed from database. But actually, as mentioned in this forum post, it would actually depend on your client (Web vs. Eclipse). Please check this RFE.

Note that "count==0" condition  (mentioned by Sam) for real deletion would worth a try too !

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stéphane

sam detweiler commented Oct 25 '13, 1:10 p.m. | edited Oct 25 '13, 1:16 p.m.

well, I just used V4.0.1 (and 4.0.3) to 'remove' an attachment I added to a workitem.
it is no longer listed in the attachments section, BUT, it IS listed in the history, twice.
and I can view it thru the history. (via both web and eclipse UI's)

the original file is not on the system where the viewer was invoked, thus it MUST still be in the database, as this would be the only common storage facility.

so, in these two cases, the history reference keeps the attachment in the database forever.

Stephane Leroy commented Oct 25 '13, 1:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

@Sam: what you just depicted would be consistent with the RFE I pointed out previously IF you used the Web client (not the Eclipse one). Do you confirm ?

sam detweiler commented Oct 25 '13, 3:17 p.m.

altho I am admin, and I have enabled the Delete Attachment permission on this project, I do no see 'delete' attachment as an option anywhere (or delete history) as the RFE mentions.

so, I would say, No, I cannot confirm

Stephane Leroy commented Oct 26 '13, 7:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

For clarity, let me provide this screen shot (from RTC 4.0.3) obtained by right-clicking on the Attachment itself:

I confirm that the Delete option does NOT let you download the attachment anymore (be it from the history or not).

Hope this helps.

sam detweiler commented Oct 26 '13, 8:26 a.m.

downloading the 4.0.3 client, do NOT see delete with the 4.0.1 client.

sam detweiler commented Oct 26 '13, 10:23 a.m. | edited Oct 26 '13, 10:23 a.m.

ok, I can now confirm, with the 4.0.3 Eclipse client you can forcibly delete attachments

Stephane Leroy commented Oct 27 '13, 2:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Glad to hear this.
Regards,
Stéphane

showing 5 of 11 show 6 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.