It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating a new project area from a template which contains required custom fields

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked May 21 '14, 6:25 a.m.
I'm having an issue creating a new project area based on a custom template.

I have a project area and I export the template.  This is a custom template where we have added custom fields to the Task work item which is Required on create.

I import this process template and then attempt to create a new project area and initialize it, and it fails.  I believe this is because it is attempting to auto-generate the 8 or so Task work items for a new project area.

Is there a way around this?

2 answers

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered May 21 '14, 6:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
you could remove those initial set of work items from the initialization and re-initialize.. here are the detailed steps:

1.  Open PA in Eclipse Client > Process Configuration Tab > Project Configuration > Project Area Initialization > Server follow-up actions > Setup Projects > Scroll down to find the Work item templates section and use the cross against the summary of each work item listed there to remove them all.

2.  Right click on the Uninitialized PA from Team Artifcats view and Perform the Initialization

hope it helps

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered May 21 '14, 6:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Susan,
when PA initializes, it will try to create the 8 or so Task work items for the new project area.
If some fields are mandatory, then expect task creation to fail.

Either do not trigger tasks creation, or do not make fields mandatory.

Eric

Comments
Susan Hanson commented May 21 '14, 6:43 a.m.

How can I tell RTC not to trigger task creation in the RTC Eclipse client when I create/initialize a new PA?

Susan Hanson commented May 21 '14, 7:15 a.m.

Thanks ... that worked ... perhaps you can help on my next problem as well :-)
I am using RTC 4.0.5 and all of my Enumerations are configured in the project area itself (no external database or anything).

With my brand new project area, when I attempt to create the first work item, one of my enumerations shows up already with an "X" on it and no value in it.  It is supposed to default to Unassigned, which is what I have defined:
<enumeration attributeTypeId="functionalArea" name="Functional Area">
  <literal default="true" id="functionalArea.literal.l32" name="Unassigned" null="true"/>
  <literal id="functionalArea.literal.l40" name="N/A"/>
 ... and more

However, it shows with nothing in the field and so I can't choose anything out of it (which is a problem for me).  Everything ot me looks okay, AND this works perfectly well on the server that I just exported the process template from (I am creating a test area on my local server instead of a common server somewhere else).

Any ideas?

Eric Jodet commented May 21 '14, 8:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

umm no - a closer look to the template might help.

Please send it to me using my Intranet id .

Source and target RTC servers are at the same level?

(ideally, each new question / concern should require a new thread)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.