It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the best way to maximize RRC REST API performance?

Greg Taillefer (61517) | asked May 20 '14, 8:46 a.m.

It seems that the best performance is achieved by using the 'views' dataSource. This is only available via copying one of the .dta's shipped with RRC (ex. printModuleBook.dta). It is not discovered by the schema discovery tool. The query appears to grab all artifacts in the current view and then publishes them.

This method is undocumented and not extensible.

Conversely the examples provided by the RPE team here, http://rpeactual.com/2014/02/19/publishing-dng-rrc-modules/ have low performance (ex. 1 artifact/1+sec at first. Increasing exponentially as the number of artifacts increase), are fairly well documented and have access to most data that you would care about.

Can more information be shared regarding the 'views' dataSource? Can several views be defined that can be nexsed within each other? For instance with DOORS data sources I can publish a document with a user defined table (ex. VCRM) embedded within it by using a DOORS multiple DOORS data sources configured to publish different views.

6 answers

permanent link
Edgar Ignacio Velazquez Mar (7225) | answered May 20 '14, 10:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 You can take a look at the filter by view
https://server:port/rm/publish/[artifact_format]?viewURI=id1&projectURI=id2
This works with saved views and provides a quick filter for requirements, works based on a view as the one you mention tho it is not as optimized as the printModules specific view service.

permanent link
Greg Taillefer (61517) | answered May 20 '14, 12:36 p.m.
The current RRC view is used as the 'views' dataSource within RPE. How do you specify a dataSource using a saved view? This would be helpful for the last part of my question.

permanent link
Edgar Ignacio Velazquez Mar (7225) | answered May 20 '14, 12:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 You can not specify the stored view on the "views" datasource from print modules. You can on any other of the public services that are documented on the wiki.
Views datasource was designed for the print only, AFAIK it is meant as an internal use datasource.

For more information check the Reportable API Query parameters 

permanent link
Greg Taillefer (61517) | answered May 20 '14, 1:21 p.m.
How do I specify the default view? I can't seem to find a way to query for that.

Comments
Edgar Ignacio Velazquez Mar commented May 20 '14, 1:25 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

It works with saved views only, default view is not a saved view 

permanent link
Greg Taillefer (61517) | answered May 20 '14, 4:51 p.m.
Any idea why I might be having problems publishing module attributes (system and custom) while using the 'views' data source? I can get the module title and that's it with a template derived from printModule. If I run printModule the system attributes publish and only one custom attribute publishes. I can't figure out why I have no data in info/collaboration/attributes

Comments
Edgar Ignacio Velazquez Mar commented May 20 '14, 4:57 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The printModule displays whatever is on the view defined in the module, if you have no attributes in the view, you will get no attributes in the report.

That datasource will only work when going through an specific request path on the server where some data is configured. It will not work properly on other parts and will not work from outside RRC

permanent link
Greg Taillefer (61517) | answered May 20 '14, 5:09 p.m.
These are module attributes that I am trying to access.

Comments
Edgar Ignacio Velazquez Mar commented May 21 '14, 9:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Do you have the attributes you want on the module view at the point you print the module? 

Greg Taillefer commented May 21 '14, 1:04 p.m.

I found out what the issue was. There is a showAttributes variable in the printModuleBook RPE template that controls whether attributes are displayed in the published document or not. I hard wired these element conditions to true but I was still missing some data.

Turns out I needed to select Include Attributes=True in the publishing wizard in order for the dataSource to populate info/collaboration/attributes.

This is weird and should not be. Is there a way to customize the publish wizard? I want to hard wire the document type (Word) and all of the external RPE variables. I also want to minimize button clicks (selections and number of wizard pages)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.