It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to extend the RTC Eclipse History View plugin?

Leonardo Marzo (24964852) | asked May 12 '14, 8:31 a.m.
 Hi, 

I need to create a new Eclipse plugin using the RTC SDK. Basically, I need to extend the 'Show History' view. So, I need a new view that inherits the same functionality plus other features. 

Do you have any examples that I could take a look at? I have checked the code of the Show History plugin of the SDK, but I still don't know where to start. I have also read the Workshop 4.0.

If you have any examples of how to extend an RTC Eclipse view, I´ll appreciate that. 

Thanks!

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 12 '14, 9:11 a.m.
edited May 12 '14, 9:26 a.m.
you have to do all the work.. there is no 'inherit/extend' capability in general.

I have modified a number of client (and server) side plugins

because u have to modify (undocumented) product code, you are responsible for keeping your code up to date with all product changes.

Comments
Leonardo Marzo commented May 12 '14, 9:21 a.m.

Not at all? I think it may be possible to reuse the classes HistoryView, HistoryViewUtil, HistoryPageHost, etc, in some way. 

sam detweiler commented May 12 '14, 9:26 a.m.

there is no published model that says 'inherit' plugin, add this tiny function and use my new capability from now on.

you can certainly re-use classes where they work (its java afterall).  but you are doing all the designing and supporting. and YOU have to 'replace' the product plugin with your modified version, typically with the same filename (which includes version numbers) cause other plugins depend on the version string.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.