It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I determine the order to apply change sets from multiple work items?

Martin McAuley (1721533) | asked May 12 '14, 6:07 a.m.
Multiple work items have been completed for a development stream e.g. bug fixes and enhancements, and it is then required to apply several of the work items to a maintenance release stream e.g. some of the bug fixes. Applying the work items change sets in the same order as they where created will minimize the amount of patching required. How do I determine the order in which to apply the change sets? Note: it is also possible that some work items have multiple change sets which are not sequential. I can identify all the change sets from the relevant work items and find them using the change set search and then ensure I accept them in sequential order, but this a very manual process and error prone. Ideally I need to be able to just multi-select the work items and have the change sets accepted in the correct order. Is this possible?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 19 '14, 1:00 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
One approach would be to create/select a workspace on the maintenance release stream, show that workspace in the Pending Changes view, and then change the flow target of that workspace to be the development stream.   Then multi-select the incoming change sets that are marked as being associated with the work items that you want, and select "accept".

Comments
Martin McAuley commented May 19 '14, 7:18 a.m.

Thanks very much for this. Does this mean that in general accepting change sets from work items is not a good approach and a workspace-driven approach is recommended?

Geoffrey Clemm commented May 19 '14, 8:50 a.m.

I would rephrase somewhat ... if you are accepting overlapping change sets from multiple work items, then the Pending Changes driven approach is recommended ... but if the change sets are not overlapping, or you are only interested in a single work item, then accepting change sets from a work item is fine.

Martin McAuley commented May 20 '14, 5:55 a.m.

ok but how can you tell if the change sets are not overlapping?

Geoffrey Clemm commented May 21 '14, 3:25 p.m.

Try to accept change sets from just one work item, and see if you get a gap conflict.  If you don't, you can just accept.   If you do, you should switch to the workspace approach.

Martin McAuley commented May 23 '14, 5:39 a.m.

ok so if I understand correctly, a gap conflict does not actually mean that the change sets for the work items I am interested in are overlapping just that I am skipping accepting an earlier change set and I cannot easily tell if the change set causing the gap conflict is the earliest change set in the group of work items I want (and therefore would be ok to accept) or a later out-of-order one?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.