It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I change a project area to use a different process template?

Luiz Almeida (23015589) | asked May 07 '14, 9:41 a.m.
converted May 09 '14, 1:23 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
After I create a project areas based upon a process template, it is possible change to another process template? I think it is not, but I am not sure, so I'd like to confirm this.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Satish Narayanachar (96426) | answered May 09 '14, 2:19 a.m.

Hi Luiz,

Follow these steps you can change the process.

1. Open the project that you want to migrate and click the Process Configuration Source tab.
  2. Press Ctrl+a to select all. Press Delete.
  3. In the Process Templates view, open the process template that you want to migrate to, and click the Process Configuration Source tab. Press Ctrl+a to select all. Right-click and click Copy.
  4. In the existing project on the Process Configuration Source page, right-click and click Paste.
  5. If the new configuration references process attachments that were not used in the old configuration, add the new attachments by using the controls on the Links tab.

For more information click the link below

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/t_migrate_dif_process.html&scope=null

Thanks and Regards,

Satish

Luiz Almeida selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Eliah Ninyo (21415) | answered Jun 14 '17, 3:51 a.m.

hi,

thanks for the answers.

I tried to copy and paste the new (SAFe) process to the process configuration source but it didn't help.

the problem is I'm using also the source code so I can't move to another project with another source code....

permanent link
Wendy Murphy (1512633) | answered May 09 '14, 5:07 p.m.
Both responses are true, however, one question do you already have existing work items in the project. If so you may be facing some issues in being to access and process those work items. You can replace the process template configuration XML. but you did not indicate what the process templates were. DId you create a project using the Formal Process and now want to use the Scrum template. Or do you have something that you started with a default template and then customized and exported?
Again it comes down to how much data you have or if you are just starting out and how different the process is. If you have no records. just retire the project and start again. If the processes are completely different I would create a new project. Export the work items from the current project and import them into the new project. You might have to do some adjustments. It's all about how much customization you have done and how far along you.

Comments
Luiz Almeida commented May 16 '14, 3:28 p.m.

Wendy, thanks for explanation.
One more question...how you would do export and import of work itens between project areas? By cvs file?
And if I export a work item of a type that does not exist in the target project area?

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered May 09 '14, 2:21 a.m.
edited May 09 '14, 2:33 a.m.
No, it's not possible.
The project area is not "using" a process template. But rather, it is _initialized_ based on a process template. Once initialized, there are no links between the two. And you cannot initialize a project area twice.
Process templates provide a starting point and guide for a project area process configuration and iteration structure. They can include process documentation in HTML format. You apply a process template when you create a project area; the process can then be modified in the project area or its team areas, independent of the template.

Comments
Donat Hutter commented Mar 25 '20, 11:02 a.m.

the statement "... Once initialized, there are no links between the two ..." seems not to be the whole truth.
As soon as I have created a project area based on a process template, this template cannot be deleted anymore (I use Eclipse client).
I want to delete an obsolete process template, which I used to create a playground. But it raises an error, telling that this template is referenced by the project area..

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.