It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I fix CNFE "org.eclipse.jface.text.BadLocationException" in build when using custom build toolkit plugin?

Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | asked May 04 '14, 7:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Using RTC 4.0.6 I am running a custom plugin in my build toolkit. It makes use of java to query work items. While the java class can be called from ANT via <exec> task and works just fine, as part of the custom plugin in the build it will break the build with:

BUILD FAILED
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.eclipse.jface.text.BadLocationException
    at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verifyImpl(Native Method)
    at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verify(J9VMInternals.java:73)
    at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verify(J9VMInternals.java:71)
    at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verify(J9VMInternals.java:71)
    at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:135)
    at com.ibm.team.process.internal.client.ThinClientProcess.createConfigurationData(ThinClientProcess.java:329)
    at com.ibm.team.process.internal.client.ThinClientProcess.getProjectConfigurationData(ThinClientProcess.java:280)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.client.internal.AuditableClientProcess.findProcessConfiguration(AuditableClientProcess.java:72)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.ConfigurationItemManager.resolveProcessConfiguration(ConfigurationItemManager.java:124)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.ConfigurationItemManager.readConfigurationItems(ConfigurationItemManager.java:107)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.WorkItemTypeManager.readConfigurationItems(WorkItemTypeManager.java:370)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.ConfigurationItemManager.updateCache(ConfigurationItemManager.java:99)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.util.CacheHelper.internalCheckCache(CacheHelper.java:107)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.util.CacheHelper.checkCache(CacheHelper.java:73)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.util.CacheHelper.checkCache(CacheHelper.java:65)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.ConfigurationItemManager.findConfigurationItems(ConfigurationItemManager.java:48)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.WorkItemCommon.findWorkItemTypes(WorkItemCommon.java:410)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.expression.WorkItemQueryAttributeFactory.cacheCustomAttributesFromWorkitemTypes(WorkItemQueryAttributeFactory.java:452)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.expression.WorkItemQueryAttributeFactory.updateCache(WorkItemQueryAttributeFactory.java:137)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.util.CacheHelper.internalCheckCache(CacheHelper.java:107)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.util.CacheHelper.checkCache(CacheHelper.java:73)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.expression.WorkItemQueryAttributeFactory.findAttribute(WorkItemQueryAttributeFactory.java:102)
    at net.jazz.ant.samples.arne.CheckSnapWorkItem.checkSnapWorkItem(CheckSnapWorkItem.java:93)
    at net.jazz.ant.samples.arne.ReviewChangeSetHistory.doExecute(ReviewChangeSetHistory.java:288)
    at com.ibm.team.build.ant.task.AbstractTeamBuildTask.execute(AbstractTeamBuildTask.java:666)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:288)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:37)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:611)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:357)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:385)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1337)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1306)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1189)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:758)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:217)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:257)
    at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:104)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.jface.text.BadLocationException
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:434)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:677)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:643)
    ... 42 more

How to fix this?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered May 05 '14, 9:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Arne, I'm confused by your comment saying it works OK in Ant when the stack shows it failing in Ant.  Did you mean it works OK when running Ant from within RTC/Eclipse, but not when run in the build?

What's happening here is you're using an API method not previously used by JBE or our Ant tasks, and it's hitting an exception for which the jar is missing.  We don't include all prereq jars under the buildtoolkit directory, just the ones needed by our Ant tasks (since Ant tasks run as plain Java, not OSGi, it doesn't mind the missing prereqs).

For now, I suggest adding the jar for org.eclipse.text to the buildtoolkit directory.  If you think this should be included in the Build System Toolkit by default, please file an enhancement request against RTC/Build.
Arne Bister selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Nick Edgar commented May 05 '14, 9:21 a.m. | edited May 05 '14, 9:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I also suspect that the missing jar is masking another issue, that's causing BadLocationException to be thrown in the first place. 

Arne Bister commented May 05 '14, 9:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Nick, no. There is no BadLocationException thrown but one of the SDK interfaces actually does an import org.eclipse.jface.text.BadLocationException;
One can google the fact that this Exception really lives in the org.eclipse.text.jar rather than org.eclipse.jface.text. What I meant with the comment about "it works when called by <exec> task in ANT", this is when I called plain java classes by <exec java ...>. Obviously this worked because the class was called with the RTC Client Eclipse plugins in its classpath.
Your suggestion to copy org.eclipse.text to build toolkit is what I did and yes, I think an RFE is in order for org.eclipse.text to be included in build toolkit.

One other answer

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered May 04 '14, 7:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Reusing the answer in https://jazz.net/forum/questions/92009/badlocationexception-when-querying-for-work-items-using-java-api I copied the org.eclipse.text_3.5.0.v20100601-1300.jar from my RTC Eclipse client plugin directory to <Build_Install_Path>\buildsystem\buildtoolkit
The build then works without breaking.

I tried various other ways of referencing that org.eclipse.text. Is there a more graceful way of solving this issue?

Comments
Donald Nong commented May 04 '14, 11:31 p.m.

RTC and the build tool kit are two different Java environments, so necessary .jar files have to be distributed to both environments for certain Java applications to run properly. I don't know how you distribute the custom plugin, but you need to make sure the org.eclipse.text.###.jar file is included in the distribution (as being copied in your case). I can't think of anything "more graceful".

Arne Bister commented May 05 '14, 12:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Donald, thanks for the answer. I guess by "more graceful" I am asking for the minor RFE to include the org.eclipse.text in the standard build toolkit distribution.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.