It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I add some guidance text next to a attribute in a work item presentation?

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino (14924459) | asked Apr 25 '14, 5:10 p.m.
Hi,
In our RTC tool customization, we would like to add some guidance next to the attribute that depends on another attribute.  Example guidance could be "To update attribute "Attribute B", update the "Attribute A" attribute first."
The reason behind this need is to avoid end-user confusion.
Is there any way to have this feature implemented in our RTC customized configurations?
I am using RTC v4.0.6 (both eclipse and web clients).
Thanks in advance!
Vicky

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Apr 25 '14, 5:18 p.m.
yes, you can add a static text field to the presentation..

open the presentation editor, add new presentation, non-attribute, static text...

the other way is to add some text in the description field for the attribute.. it will be flyover help for that field.. but it will not display unless the mouse pointer is over that field.

Comments
Maria Victoria Martinez Torino commented May 07 '14, 9:35 a.m. | edited May 07 '14, 10:07 a.m.

The first approach is not an option because that would result in too much information displayed on the presentation, besides the several attributes being already shown.
As for the second approach, the only disadvantage I can see is that if the user don't hover the mouse over the field label, won't see the guidance text (description).
I would sear that there was a way to add like a Tooltip or a hint (more like a "balloon help") right next to the attribute label. Could it be perhaps by adding some XML code directly in the process configuration source?
Any suggestions?

sam detweiler commented May 07 '14, 10:09 a.m.

I don't know of another way.

Lorena Almela commented Sep 08 '14, 2:51 p.m.

Hi Maria Victoria:

we are facing same need for a project, were you able to find any way of showing a hint or popup for the help?

Regards,

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.