It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Getting Jazz Team Server to start

Simon Lapscher (833) | asked Apr 25 '14, 12:34 p.m.
I downloaded the Jazz Team Server, and installed it on my HP. I am trying to run it with Tomcat, however whenever I start the Jazz Team Server, the command window tells me the directory in unusable. Can somebody help me out please?

Comments
Benjamin Silverman commented Apr 25 '14, 12:49 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Simon,

Can you copy/paste the output from the Tomcat console here?  Thanks,

Simon Lapscher commented Apr 25 '14, 1:40 p.m.

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for helping out. This is what I'm getting:

WARNING: Failed to create work directoy [C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\work\Catalina\localhost_] for context []

SEVERE: The scratchDir you specified C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\work\Catalina\localhost_ is unusable

Is this enough information for you to know what's going on? Please let me know what I can do to help you help me :)

3 answers

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Apr 25 '14, 1:45 p.m.
It looks like a permissions problem.  Is it possible you installed CLM with one user, and are starting it with another?  These directories get created upon initial startup and it sounds to me like they're not able to be created.  I'm not sure what version of Windows you're on, but try right-clicking the "Start Jazz Team Server" shortcut and using "Run As Administrator."  That usually does the trick.  Hope it helps,

Comments
Simon Lapscher commented Apr 25 '14, 2:12 p.m.

Thanks for the help, Benjamin.

I ran as administrator, and it is not returning any error now, however it is not starting the program either. The last thing on Tomcat right now is:

org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start

INFO: Server startup in 134652 ms

Do you think there might some other programs that I might to install for the Jazz Team Server to run? Will the Jazz Team Server run as any other program - Word, Outlook, etc? I am not a very technical person, as I am sure you can tell.

Benjamin Silverman commented Apr 25 '14, 2:16 p.m.

That's the expected behavior.  It means the application server has been started and is hosting the CLM applications.  You need to proceed with setting up the applications now, and you do that by hitting the jts/setup URL in your browser.  For example:

https://<server_host_name>:9443/jts/setup

You don't need to install any other applications for the CLM applications to run, as they are web based with the exception of RTC which also has an optional Eclipse client you can install if desired.

permanent link
Satish Narayanachar (96425) | answered Apr 29 '14, 1:18 a.m.

Hi Simon,

Click the below link, it has all the information about setting up JTS.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.install.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_update_jazz_setup_after_upgrade.html

Regards,

Satish

Comments
Ankit Vashistha commented Apr 29 '14, 2:47 a.m.

Hi Simon,

the message you are getting on console "INFO: Server startup in 134652 ms" comes only after successful start up of jts server.

If you have already gone through the set up process i.e, jts/setup then you just log in using the user and proceed ahead with the work on installed applications.
If you are doing it for the first time then first go ahead with setting and configuration of applications installed.
Process is available in jazz library. 

permanent link
Ankit Vashistha (125627) | answered Apr 29 '14, 6:35 a.m.
 Hi Simon,

the message you are getting on console "INFO: Server startup in 134652 ms" comes only after successful start up of jts server.

If you have already gone through the set up process i.e, jts/setup then you just log in using the user and proceed ahead with the work on installed applications.
If you are doing it for the first time then first go ahead with setting and configuration of applications installed.
Process is available in jazz library. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.