It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

ILinkManager API is not documented in Plain Java API docs

kanjbala jawahar (601815) | asked Apr 24 '14, 1:37 p.m.
We are writing client-side code to link work items to build results, i.e., work items reported against a build.
I have to use the packages:
com.ibm.team.links.client.ILinkManager;
com.ibm.team.links.common.IItemReference;
com.ibm.team.links.common.ILink;

I have the Plain Java API docs. and none of those packages are documented.
Does it mean that I am using unsupported API? Or can I use those?
If I can, could we please document these to remove any question about their support.
Thanks.

Comments
kanjbala jawahar commented Apr 24 '14, 1:46 p.m.

This is similar to the API Documentaion request raised a little while ago, but for a different API.
Since the pressure is on to extend Jazz functionality and to use only supported API, I fear that more of these are going to be coming, many more.

sam detweiler commented Apr 24 '14, 1:56 p.m. | edited Apr 24 '14, 1:56 p.m.

everything not documented is subject to change without notice

Many api's are 'unsupported' , in that you cannot open product service requests against issues found.

I would not wait for documentation to appear.  it is a risk you take everytime you write your own code.

kanjbala jawahar commented Apr 24 '14, 2:19 p.m.

We need a supported way of doing this. Even if it is not supported/documented now, it needs to be in the future versions.
For now I can (I have to) go ahead and use the undocumented API of course, however I need to ensure that a request is opened to document these just like the one above in my comment.
This is all assuming that there truly is no documented/supported way of doing this. I do not have comprehensive knowledge (or anywhere close to that) of RTC API, so I could have missed it.

Thanks.

sam detweiler commented Apr 24 '14, 2:30 p.m.

I have no idea if there is an open enhancement request to update the supported apis in the Javadoc

Accepted answer

permanent link
Abraham Sweiss (2.4k1331) | answered Apr 24 '14, 3:31 p.m.
I would open a doc defecgt in the jazz product area.  This way someone from the documentation team can provide the official response on if this will or will not be documented.
kanjbala jawahar selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
kanjbala jawahar commented Apr 24 '14, 4:41 p.m.

I have opened task Create API documentation for linking RTC artifacts
not a defect, since the defect opening UI asked for some things that I did not have the answers for and I did not know what values to choose.

Thanks Abraham.

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 15 '16, 3:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 15 '16, 9:38 a.m.
The API published in the Plain Java Client Libraries is considered to be the supported API. Any API not documented here is strictly speaking considered internal API.

Having said that, the RTC SDK is shipped with more source code. That includes comments for the classes including the ILinkManager.

To be able to see the documentation follow https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/09/30/learning-to-fly-getting-started-with-the-rtc-java-apis/ the most important information is in Setting up Rational Team Concert for API Development ( https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/setting-up-rational-team-concert-for-api-development/ ) and  Understanding and Using the RTC Java Client API ( https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/understanding-and-using-the-rtc-java-client-api/ ). If you follow this you should be able to see the JavaDoc in the SDK and use the SDK to develop and debug Plain Java Code seeing the source code as well.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Aug 15 '16, 8:17 a.m.

I am looking in the 6.0.2 SDK and don't see anything about javadoc, and don't see any index.html anywhere..

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 15 '16, 9:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The Code is commented, which is basically what would become JavaDoc, if it would get exported, Sam..

sam detweiler commented Aug 15 '16, 9:46 a.m.

ok, that I see.. A lot of the code is commented.. I have been thru a lot and modified much to do different things.. I have contributed all my enhancements back to development.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.