It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can test case execution create a reservation on a test environment implicitly?

Michael Haun (4921924) | asked Apr 23 '14, 5:39 p.m.
edited Apr 28 '14, 3:23 p.m. by Max Bridges (24126)
I'm looking into using RQM to track our machine utilization but I'm struggling with understanding the reservations.  I understand you can manually submit requests and make reservations for periods of time.  But, this can be tedious and time consuming.  I'm wondering if a test case execution can implicitly make a reservation against a test environment machine for the duration of the test run.  I don't see that this is done by default and I don't see a way to do this when I run TCER.  Plus when I search in "reservations" I see no reservations for machines where I executed a test.  Please help!

One answer

permanent link
Sunil Kumar R (1.1k13044) | answered Apr 23 '14, 11:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Michael, the machine (or test lab management) is available in the test management section of RQM.
You can use an artifact called "Test Cell" which can be associated with the TERs to make machine reservations.

Here is the document with more details on the steps involved in creating and reserving machines (test environment) using Test Cells

Let me know if you have any questions.
Best Regards,
Sunil

Comments
Michael Haun commented Apr 24 '14, 3:08 p.m.

Thanks Sunil.  Does your answer change at all if we are using a custom adapter for automated test execution?  The reason I ask is because I created Test Cells that mapped to Test Environments like you mentioned.  However, when I go to run a test case my "machine" that is shown is the machine running our adapter (and Test Cell is unassigned).  See screenshot1:

If I change the "Machine" to one I defined then the adapter machine goes away (and thus my execution will not work).  See next two screenshots:

So it seems the machine where I am running our adapter is the machine that likely gets reserved and not the actual machine where the test environment is.

Do you see anything wrong in our implementation?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.