It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Where are all the different permissions for work items?

Andy Jewell (24236174) | asked Apr 22 '14, 4:53 p.m.
Here's my problem: I just recently changed our automated build system to use a generic ID rather than my personal ID.  The ID is in the project area and the same team area and has the same roles as my ID, but it cannot see any work items!  It's funny because how this came about is the process was failing when trying to deliver a changeset because the process rule was not being met that required a related work item.  Yet, through the UI I could see that the changeset DID have a related work item.  Turns out, whenever I use MY ID, no problems.  Whenever I use the generic ID with (ostensibly) all the same roles as me, it can't "see" the work items.  In fact, I logged onto the web client using the ID and sure enough, even running a basic work item query comes up empty.  There are no errors, it just doesn't pull up any results, at all.

I assume this is some kind of permission issue.  I know about the Project Area permissions and the Team Area permissions which are both driven by role.  Again, this ID has all my roles.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what else this could be??

- Andy

Comments
sam detweiler commented Apr 22 '14, 5:45 p.m.

does the generic userid have the right license assigned?

Andy Jewell commented Apr 22 '14, 5:57 p.m.

Will check on that, thank you! 

Kot T. commented Apr 22 '14, 6:10 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

In addition to the license, is the generic userid part of any jazz groups?

Andy Jewell commented Apr 22 '14, 6:12 p.m.

Thanks, Kot - we did check and the user is part of the right jazz group. 

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Apr 23 '14, 2:47 a.m.

Hi Andy,
Are you able to log in with this generic id to web interface? What is the error message when you attempt to open any work item? Please paste here screen snapshot.

Andy Jewell commented Apr 23 '14, 10:10 a.m.

Krzysztof, I can log in as the generic ID but there is no error.  When I run a query it simply comes up empty - no results.  If I login as my own user (or any other person user on the project), the query returns hundreds of records.

sam detweiler commented Apr 23 '14, 11:21 a.m.

I just created a new user on my 4.0.4 test system, no license and no role in the project, and they can still query workitems.  they cannot  get builds, source, plans, ...

the users is in the jazzusers group. if I remove them from the jaszzusers group they cannot logon.

Andy Jewell commented Apr 23 '14, 11:30 a.m.

Thanks for doing that, Sam.  We now have a ticket to IBM and - assuming we figure it out! - I will post the resolution.  Whatever it is, it's not intuitive. 

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

2 answers

permanent link
Andy Jewell (24236174) | answered May 07 '14, 11:56 a.m.
Sorry for the wild goose chase.  Ultimately, the resolution here was that the rights in question were coming from a team area that the user was not in.  I had assumed the rights were coming from the parent project area and that they were being inherited but this was not the case.

permanent link
Wendy Murphy (1512633) | answered Apr 24 '14, 1:13 p.m.
the user needs to belong to at least one group, remember the groups JazzUser, JazzGuest etc are all about access to the database. The license, roles and permissions gate intraction. A JazzGuest will have view options and the JazzAdmin and/or JazzProjectAdmin allows you to give a role the ability to delete a work item. If you are not in one ot these groups you can't delete even if you set the permission in the role.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.