It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Test case and test suite progress indicators don't work

Adam Geheb (622) | asked Apr 17 '14, 8:41 a.m.
We are using version 4.0.2 .  We created a test plan consisting of 15 test suites.  Each test suite has multiple test cases.  All cases/suites have a proper weight/estimate set.  The problem is that none of the progress indicators will work on the test plan or when widgets are used on dashboards.

Test plan view
Why isn't my Test Suite Execution Record Progress showing?

If I look at the individual test suites I can see the points indicator for each and the # of executions planned but this data doesn't translate to the high level reporting that is neccessary.

One answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Apr 18 '14, 2:36 a.m.
Hi, Adam

You mentioned that you have TestSuites in the TestPlan and they have estimate set. That sounds good. But you then said TestPlan view does not show TestSuite Execution Record Progress. Did you create TestSuite Execution Record(TSER)  and added to TestPlan or not and if TSER has its own estimate? TestSuite and TSER are two different artifacts and you need to have the right one to check with. Ideally if you can add some screenshots to explain the issue.

Thanks

Comments
Adam Geheb commented Apr 18 '14, 10:22 a.m.

Hi Don,

Yes, we created TSER's to track the subsequent executions to the plan.  No, the TSER's don't have their own estimates.  The test cases that make up the test suite have weight.  Only the test suite itself has the estimate.  If I look at the test suite navigator panel, I see all the test suites, with the combined weight of all the test cases associated with them, and the estimate for the total execution of all the instances of the TSER.  My issue is I can't see it at the top 'Plan' level or if I try to view this data from a dashboard widget.

When I stated the progress indicators aren't working I was referencing the two indicators visible in the upper right corner when the plan is opened.(I can't add images, my reputation is too low.  Totally defeats the purpose!)

TSER's reference test suites, so by having the proper estimates and weights set on my Test Suites / Test Cases, I should be able to have this information transfer to the TSER.

Don Yang commented Apr 20 '14, 7:01 a.m.

I believe the estimate in TSER is referenced to itself not from test suites it has.
I did a quick test here in 406(sorry I dont have 402 at this moment) and the first TSER estimate progress bar in Test Plan is referring its own estimate and time spent(you can hover on the bar to show the items). The 2nd one is for the real execution progress in the test cases in the test suites:

Sterling Ferguson-II commented Apr 26 '14, 8:47 a.m.

Hello,

This is interesting. Don, after you create test cases and test case execution records, then put them in a suite, you need to go back and manually add the totals for TSER? 

Don Yang commented Apr 28 '14, 1:08 a.m.

This is how it works in the current TSER, it won't really pick up the cumulative estimate from the contained test suites.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.