It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Benefits of going to DOORS NG (after a recent migration to DOOS 9.5)

Colm Forkin (611) | asked Apr 14 '14, 5:44 a.m.
edited Apr 14 '14, 8:56 a.m. by Daniel Moul (4.9k1318)
 Hello ,

I have recently upgraded from DOORS 8.x to DOORS 9.5.2 and am just getting the team used to the new environment.It is unlikely I will get support for another upgrade, but I want to start planning now for 6-12 months time.
Is there any significant improvement and flexibility in DOORS NG in terms of managing baselines? My Quality Manager is asking me to find out how I can create two "product specific (A and B)" Formal Modules from a Formal Module which is a "generic module". After that Product A and Product B would maintain its own release history.
In "classic" DOORS, the work around would be to use "copy baseline" to create a generic baseline copy for each of the product lines A and B. A cleaner solution that comes to mind would be the 3rd party integration with BigLever software gears.

The basic problem is that the use of version control (VC) software like Subversion, has created the mindset  that creates the demand for the type of branching VC software can provide within DOORS. Classic DOORS does not fit well with this paradigm. What is the solution? A 3rd party integration with Classic DOORS or moving to DOORS NG?

Colm

One answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Apr 14 '14, 8:56 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
BigLever DOORS is a good way to implement product line scenarios with DOORS 9. It is proven at industrial scale and provides advance feature modeling capabilities (e.g. expressing constraints among features).

If you look at the DOORS NG project plans here on jazz.net you will see reference to "RM-VVC", which is a project we have underway to enable version and configuration management capabilities in the Jazz RM application (and we expect BigLever and other feature modeling vendors eventually to make use of these capabilities to simplify their implementations).

Your time frame of "6-12 months" gives you opportunity to explore what's coming. Any switch of RM tools (even to DOORS NG where IBM provides the lowest cost & risk transition), you will need to convince yourself and your teams using DOORS that the switching costs are worth it.

Are you coming to the Innovate user conference in June? It will offer a great opportunity to see and discuss the latest progress in this area -- including the extension of these capabilities to other engineering disciplines.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.