It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to change work item type that can be created as a Child via the web pop-up in RTC

David Beange (111356100) | asked Apr 09 '14, 5:37 a.m.
With RTC V4.0.2 how can i change the type of work item that can be created as a Child in the web UI when using the Add LInk option. I can link to an existing work item but the option is only to create a change work item. I would like to be able to default the option to defect.

See attached image.

Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kevin Eifinger (1211710) | answered Apr 09 '14, 8:01 a.m.
On the top the field "Type" can be used to limit the found Work Items to that type additionally it changes what type of Work Item is created by the link in the bottom left corner. It even changes the text when you change the selection in the dropdown box.
David Beange selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kevin Eifinger commented Apr 09 '14, 8:03 a.m. | edited Apr 09 '14, 8:08 a.m.

Using this option to create child items on a daily basis I found it faster to create a Work Item of whatever type is initially shown there and change the type in the Work Item which is opened.

David Beange commented Apr 09 '14, 8:16 a.m.

Hi Kevin, Many thanks i never thought to try that drop down as always presumed it was associated with the search. I would normally do as you do and created whatever is defaulted and then change the type before entering data but as i am writing notes for a colleague i thought i'd try and show them a "proper" way.

Kevin Eifinger commented Apr 09 '14, 8:21 a.m.

Hi David, you are quite welcome. In fact I get asked that everytime I'm conducting a training. It is really confusing at first ;D

Kevin Eifinger commented Apr 09 '14, 9:04 a.m.

Addition: this only works when opening the dialogue out of a Work Item. Creating a linked Work Item out of a plan does not work  Create a child out of a plan view

One other answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Oct 09 '18, 9:53 p.m.
edited Oct 09 '18, 9:56 p.m.
I had the same problem as you, and I found that you can change the default work item type by going into the actual process configuration source and changing the order of the work item definitions.

For instance, I have created a custom Change Proposal for a client, and this uses Review custom work item as a  child. When I first went to the Links tab and tried to add a new child, the default was to create a new Defect work item. I initially used the same approach as above and created the Defect, but then changed the Type - annoying but OK.

I then cleaned up the project and deleted all the work item types not related to what the client needed, and suddenly found the default child type had changed to Task! Going into the Process Configuration Source, I found that Task was the first work item type declared, so I swapped it with the Review work item type, and Bingo - the default work item type for me now is Review.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.