It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Unique Requirements Traceability Matrix Layout Using RRDI

Torin Denniston (15811) | asked Apr 08 '14, 12:52 p.m.
I have a use case we would appreciate your insight on:

We are designing an RTM using RRDI and would like to be able to show the relationships between requirements, related work items and related test cases. Our desired layout includes columns for a requirement, requirement ID, the collection it's a part of, its related Tasks in RTC, the iteration that Task is a part of, that requirement's related test cases, and the test case ID. We would like the Requirement column to be merged so that it spans all rows that contain data related to it. The current issue we are having is we can not set up the list in a way that either the Test Cases or Tasks don't repeat.

For example, we would like all requirements-related columns in row 2-5 to be merged into one cell, we would like there to be Tasks listed in rows 2-3 (with rows 4-5 for Task columns blank), and Test Cases listed in rows 2-5. This type of layout would repeat for every requirement in the desired project area.

Could anyone offer insight on how to accomplish this type of grouping in a report generated with RRDI? I wish I could post a photo but do not have the required reputation.

Comments
Francesco Chiossi commented Apr 09 '14, 8:13 a.m. | edited Apr 09 '14, 8:14 a.m.

Hello Torin,

I voted up your question, hopefully you should have enough reputation to attach an image describing your requirement.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Torin Denniston commented Apr 09 '14, 9:33 a.m.

Sample RTM

Torin Denniston commented Apr 09 '14, 9:47 a.m.

An alternative solution we would also like to investigate is alternating colors based on the grouped requirement.

2 answers

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Apr 09 '14, 10:02 a.m.
Hello Torin,

I think you can get something similar to your requirement by using nested list.

Here I have an example with the test case link:

After getting the requirements data in the list (from ODS > Requirement Area > Requirement) I dragged another list item and populated it with the data from (from ODS > Requirement Area > Requirement Related Test Cases)

In order for the link to work I have to add ODS > Requirement Area > Requirement > Requirement ID in the query for the second table

Then right click on the nested table and select Master Detail Relationships...
Create a new link on Requirement ID

The output looks like this:

This is just a rough example, but I hope it can give you the idea.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Comments
Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented Oct 04 '15, 5:09 p.m.

I can't see values on Requirement type, I have linked to Requisite Pro. 

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Oct 05 '15, 4:49 a.m.
Hello Rafael,

running the data collection jobs on CLM you only have very limited information on the requirements if they are stored on Requisite Pro.
The information above assumes that the requirements are stored in RRC / DNG.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.