It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

IBM RTC Tomcat Heap size issue

vinay kumar nukala (4236672) | asked Apr 04 '14, 6:37 a.m.
Hi everyone,

we have installed tomcat and ccm and  able to work properly for 3 months period, but suddenly it stopped working. when we start tomcat server it is starting within few seconds.

Some heap files are created at the below location:
C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server

How to change the Heap size without starting the tomcat or accessing it from browser, because i am not able to start tomcat.

please help me what might be the problem.

One answer

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Apr 04 '14, 6:47 a.m.
edited Apr 04 '14, 6:48 a.m.
If you're starting it from server.startup script, you should look for the following lines in there:
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xmx1G
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms1G
These options are the maximum and initial heap size. If CLM is failing to start, that probably means that there is not enough free memory to satisfy the initial heap size. Please note, that as per our recommendations, both values should be equal.

It's the same if you're starting CLM as a service, only the relevant parameters Xmx and Xms are defined in the service configuration.

Comments
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Apr 04 '14, 7:11 a.m.

Hi Vinay,
I am assuming that you are using RTC 4.0. Therefore you need to modify two additional entries:

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xmn512M
rem set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=1G

Anyway what is your error message in tomcat/logs/catalina.out file?

vinay kumar nukala commented Apr 04 '14, 7:47 a.m. | edited Apr 04 '14, 11:54 a.m.

Thank you for your suggestions. My client is facing this problem, i will come up with the data you requested.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.