It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Permission to update timeline needed to set current iteration

Daniel Reilly (1431520) | asked Mar 31 '14, 7:11 p.m.
Why is "Modify the collection of timelines" permission needed to update the current iteration?  Wouldn't this be a case where "Modify the structure of iterations" is sufficient?

The way it is now, you have to allow someone to create a timeline, just to update the current iteration pointer.  The reason I ask is that timelines can not be deleted and if someone can create a timeline, they will, which then leaves the admin another mess to deal with. 

One answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Mar 31 '14, 7:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 31 '14, 7:50 p.m.
It's subtle, but the timeline has a current iteration. Nothing about selecting that affects the iteration(s). So the permissions to change that would make sense to be associated with changing timeline information rather than iteration information. So the way it is now is that someone who can modify a timeline (to change its current iteration) also has permission to create timelines.

I did a quick search and there does not seem to be an Enhancement requesting that this action have its own permission. You are certainly welcome to create such a request.

Comments
Daniel Reilly commented Mar 31 '14, 8:00 p.m.

ok, I'll do that.  We want people to be able to update the current iteration.  But, we don't want them creating timelines.  Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.