It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Good approach to deleting work items?

Ed Richard (644) | asked Mar 27 '14, 4:24 p.m.
Have a few thousand defects migrated into RTC from bugzilla and now considering scrapping them in RTC somehow and starting over due to so many changes made back to same items back in Bugzilla... Don't want to delete and could change the status to closed as invalid... (but not favoring that since they will still appear in many queries)... My idea is the create a new work item type,then change all the RTC work items from type defect to the new type.. (then may close as invalid from there)... Would this work well? does it make sense? are there any dangers I have not considered such as links/dependencies, etc   that will cause problems later?  is there a better way such as moving to another project area?

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Mar 27 '14, 6:14 p.m. | edited Mar 27 '14, 6:14 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If I'm understanding correctly, you imported many defects from Bugzilla to RTC. People have continued to update those items in Bugzilla and now the versions previously imported to RTC are stale and you are trying to figure out how to update RTC so that it has a current version of those work items.

One option seems to be to throw away the ones already imported and "start over" by importing them again (hopefully getting people to stop updating the Bugzilla version this time). You seem appropriately concerned about deleting the items (yep, stuff can go wrong if you just start deleting work items).

Is it feasible to update them? Is there some sort of identifying attribute that was carried to RTC that would let you identify the corresponding Bugzilla entry and update it? Then you don't have to do anything over and don't have a bunch of orphaned items that you'll have to query around (even a different work item type won't stop full-text searches).

Bulk move isn't supported, so I'm not sure moving them is reasonable.

One answer

permanent link
Abraham Sweiss (2.4k1331) | answered Mar 27 '14, 5:07 p.m.
I would think creating the new project area would be the least painful approach.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.