It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

change snapshot owner?

Daniel martin (10122926) | asked Mar 27 '14, 2:39 p.m.
 We are using the rtc/bf integration. The build WS is owned by the account that is running the builds (bldfge). As a jazzadmin I can change the owner of the snapshots, created from the builds.  The only other person who could change the owner is the bldfge account.  How do we allow non-jazzadmin users the ability change the owner of snapshots created during the build?

2 answers

permanent link
Rafael Hayama (15926) | answered Mar 27 '14, 8:33 p.m.
Hi Daniel,

Because the snapshot is tied to the workspace I don't think it's possible to allow such thing.

May I ask if the ownership change is part of your post-build deliver structure? If your goal is to promote the snapshot to the stream it's possible to invoke the post-build participant as the last of your BF steps. I understand that should the snapshot be promoted to the stream then it should be widely available.

${Build_Engine_Path}/jbe -userId ${Build_User} -pass ${Build_Password} -repository ${Repository_Address} -buildResultUUID ${buildResultUuid} -engineUUID ${engineUUID} -participants com.ibm.team.build.autoDeliver -noComplete

However, if you goal is just change the snapshot ownership you can achieve it by integrating your builds with SCM CLI. Follow up article should assist you to understand the idea of this integration.

Best regards,

Rafael.

Comments
Daniel martin commented Mar 28 '14, 9:48 a.m.

This isn't a viable solution, and we need a better way to handle this. We execute nearly 5000 builds a day, and most of those snapshots are simply that, and snapshot in time.  However some builds will be release candidate builds, and we need a way for development teams to change the owner of a snapshot, from a workspace to a stream.  We can devise our own logic, but an enterprise tools should be able to accommodate for these requirements.   

Rafael Hayama commented Mar 28 '14, 10:14 a.m.

Hi Daniel.

I am understand. But due to the repository workspace nature as being a developer space I don't think it would be possible. 

What if the snapshots are promoted to a let's call "integration stream"? When a release candidate build is requested; the snapshot can be promote from this integration stream to the main stream.

Best regards,

Rafael.

permanent link
Karthik Krishnan (8825118163) | answered Mar 28 '14, 3:55 a.m.
 Normally the Post build deliver in the build definition can do the following
- Move the snapshot from build work space to "stream"

This will and can fail if any of the components / files are locked in the stream.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 29 '14, 11:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that it is the "deliver" operation that will fail if it is trying to modify a locked file ... the snapshot rename operation is not affected by any file locks.  Just for interest's sake,  by the "component being locked in the stream", were you referring to the deliver pre-condition which allows you limit what roles are allowed to modify a given component in a given stream?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.