It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 4.0.3 does *not* work install correctly with RPT 8.5.1.2

Kelly Adams (2113) | asked Mar 24 '14, 3:03 p.m.
edited Mar 26 '14, 2:04 p.m. by Stephanie Taylor (24115)
According to the RPT 8.5.1.2 compatibility site (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/prodguid/v1r0/clarity/index.jsp), RPT 8.5.1.2 is supposed to be compatible with RTC 4.0.3

However, any attempt to install RTC 4.0.3 using the Installation manager downloadable repository (RTC-Client-Eclipse4.2-repo-4.0.3.zip) results in RTC 4.0.4 being installed.  This has been validated by Rational support person Paul Liskay as noted in this RPT Developerworks forum thread=> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=8e535a90-e0f6-4329-81f3-8fe5838cac7c&ps=25 

Per Paul, this is an RTC defect rather than an RPT defect.  The RTC 4.0.3 install scripts must be (incorrectly?) identifying a requirement to install RTC 4.0.4 during the installation process, and forcing that version to install. 

This is severely impacting our ability to use these tools because RTC 4.0.4 client is totally useless in an RTC 4.0.3 server environment.  Is there any way to either work around this problem e.g.: force RTC 4.0.3 to install correctly with RPT 8.5.1.2? 

Or alternately is it possible to actually fix the problem so it works as advertised?

One answer

permanent link
Adam Wereszczynski (92811932) | answered Mar 25 '14, 3:44 a.m.
Hi Kelly,

I am not familiar with RPT but I suspect it can coexist with RTC client via shell sharing.
Can you try two alternative approaches?
A) use the Eclipse p2 repository from https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/4.0.3/RTC-Client-p2Repo-4.0.3.zip
More on installing from p2 in the Info Center
B) Install RTC 4.0.3 via IM to a different package group and try to install RPT into that group.

Comments
Kelly Adams commented Mar 25 '14, 1:58 p.m.

Adam, thanks for your response and suggestions. 

I'm attempting option A.  On my first attempt, it failed during the install from the P2 repository with the error displayed in the attached image.  I found an unrelated Eclipse forum posting that suggested this type of failure could relate to file permissions in the installation directory (e.g. /opt/IBM/SDP). 

I changed ownership of that directory to myself and tried again- this time the install completed "successfully", but when I restarted RPT and attempted to access the RTC repository with the task browser (e.g.: My Work), it failed with an error pertaining to a missing Dojo library.  I'm trying one last time, as I am not completely confident that I didn't make a mistake during my second attempt in terms of selecting the correct package to install i.e.: Rational Team Concert Client (extend an Eclipse installation).

I'll report back here with my success or failure.

forum won't permit me to post images...sorry

Millard Ellingsworth commented Mar 25 '14, 2:17 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks for your efforts, Kelly. I have added reputation points to your profile -- please upload whatever images you think may help us in resolving this. 

Kelly Adams commented Mar 25 '14, 2:29 p.m.

Since the forum wouldn't let me post the image, here is a verbal description of the first error I received while attempting to install from the downloaded P2 repository:

This operation cannot be completed... because one or more required items could not be found.  Missing requirement... requires 'org.eclipse.rcp.configuration_root.gtk.linux.x86_64 [1.00, 1.1.0)' but it could not be found

Kelly Adams commented Mar 25 '14, 3:26 p.m.

I repeated the install  using the downloaded P2 repository.  Once again, I had to change ownership of the RPT install directory (e.g.: /opt/IBM/SDP) to the user (e.g.: myself).  This time I was more careful to make sure I had properly selected "group by category" and the Rational Team Concert Client (extend an Eclipse installation).  The install completes successfully as it did before.

Unfortunately, it also fails at runtime as it did before. 

Load My Work has encountered a problem...An internal error occurred during: "Load My Work".[object Error] ({"Bundle-SymbolicName":"org.dojotoolkit.dojo", "path":"resources\/_base\/_loader", "name":"loader.js"}#428)
Dojo is a pretty standard toolkit- I am surprised it isn't installed / on the path as part of the RPT install.  Interestingly, it appears that other RTC features are working- e.g.: I can connect to the change repository, and view work items.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.