It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

IllegalStateException when using the SCM command line

Allen Earnest (6212437) | asked Mar 21 '14, 10:58 a.m.
edited Mar 21 '14, 1:45 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
 Hello

We are looking to use the SCM command line to do some work in RTC.  But I'm getting an IllegalStateException when I try to use it.

Sometimes I can use the SCM tool for a few minutes with no problems, but other times I get the IllegalStateException as soon as a login.

It seems the only way I can "fix" the problem is to reboot my server.  But that is only a temporary fix.

Here is an example of what I am seeing.  I did a simple login and list projectareas using the command line.  This was immediately following a reboot.  Here are my exact commands and responses.  You can see that in this particular test, the SCM command gets part way through listing the project areas before throwing the illegal state exception.

C:\Users\myuserid>scm login -r https://tjts1.mydomain.net/ccm/ -n local -u myuserid -P mypassword
Logged in to https://tjts1.mydomain.net/ccm/
C:\Users\myuserid>scm list projectareas -r local
(2590) "Test01 (Change Management)"
(2591) "MTA Tools CM"
(2593) "JKE Banking (Change Management)"
(2595) "ALM Test (Change Management)"
(2596) "not active CM(Change Management)"
(2597) "ATG CM"
(2599) "ABC Training CM"
(2601) "DEF Training CM"
(2619) "ABC Workflow TDA Client Training CM"
(2629) "ABC Workflow TDA Client Training AOE"
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Job manager has been shut down.
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.JobManager.schedule(JobManager.java:11
04)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.InternalJob.schedule(InternalJob.java:
427)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.jobs.Job.schedule(Job.java:462)
        at com.ibm.team.filesystem.rcp.core.internal.changes.util.listeners.Upda
teChangesJob.requestUpdate(UpdateChangesJob.java:151)
        at com.ibm.team.filesystem.rcp.core.internal.changes.update.util.UpdateM
anager.requestUpdate(UpdateManager.java:77)
        at com.ibm.team.filesystem.rcp.core.internal.changes.util.listeners.Even
tManager.handleEvents(EventManager.java:611)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.EventSource$BackgroundEventDispat
cher$1.run(EventSource.java:720)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
cher.process(EventSource.java:713)
cher$3.run(EventSource.java:771)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.client.util.ThreadCheck.runProhibitingLongOps
(ThreadCheck.java:174)
cher.process(EventSource.java:756)
cher$4.run(EventSource.java:790)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExec
utor.java:906)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor
.java:929)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:738)
C:\Users\myuserid>

Any help appreciated!  Thanks!

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 21 '14, 11:48 a.m. | edited Mar 21 '14, 11:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you have extended the SCM commandline, I doubt anyone will be able to help here without seeing the code you created that throws the error. This is also an error that is very Java centric: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12698275/whats-the-intended-use-of-illegalstateexception so there seems to be a call to a method that is not in the state to be called.

Allen Earnest commented Mar 21 '14, 1:07 p.m.

No extensions by us.  These are the native IBM jars for connecting to RTC from the command line.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 21 '14, 1:46 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I've modified the question title to make it clear that you are using the command line, and not the Java API.

Allen Earnest commented Mar 21 '14, 1:54 p.m.

Thanks Geoffrey.  I've been switching back and forth between Rational tools, I forget which ones are Java API based or native exe sometimes.  :)

One answer

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Mar 24 '14, 7:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This seems similar to the exception reported in the below workitem: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=306852
This has been resolved in an upcoming release.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.