It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Trying to import work item updates, but get the error for all rows: The CSV File is missing a proper identifier ... I have the column Id which corresponds to valid records, so Why?

Donna Thomas (14122548) | asked Mar 17 '14, 5:15 p.m.
Trying to import work item updates, but get the error for all rows: The CSV File is missing a proper identifier ... I have the column Id which corresponds to valid records, so Why?

Sample:
"Id","Acceptance Test","Comments","Description","Resolution"
"34831","","1. Thomas, Donna (Dell) - 5/9/13 8:37 AM test","Training Task.",""

In that example, Id 34831 exists and is editable. I have JazzAdmin group and all permissions in project area.

Any help is greatly appreciated and urgent.

Comments
Donna Thomas commented Mar 17 '14, 6:05 p.m.

BTW - using 4.0.5.

sam detweiler commented Mar 17 '14, 6:05 p.m.

usually this happens to me when I say comma separated and its Tab or vice versa 

Donna Thomas commented Mar 17 '14, 6:12 p.m.

I've been using only comma separated for the first 15-20 attempts - all the time confirming the delimiter. Then I started trying to change the delimiter. But I am indicating the difference in the import dialog box.

Donna Thomas commented Mar 17 '14, 6:14 p.m.

Also FYI - I've removed the Comments field, the quotes, tried tab and semi-colon delimiters, and many permutations of ID (like: ID, Id, id, iD... with quotes, without quotes, etc.)

sam detweiler commented Mar 17 '14, 11:42 p.m.

also, did u edit the file at al?  try opening with notepad++ or some editor where u can see the char encoding. I ran into a problem where the encoding was ANSI-UTF8, and the importer couldn't handle it.  I had to explicitly change it to UTF8.. then the importer worked.

excel leaves the file in weird state

Donna Thomas commented Mar 18 '14, 12:49 a.m.

Good idea - thought of the encoding too. I've never had a problem in the past. I double checked with Notepad ++ and it says it is encoded as UTF-8. I'll try resetting the encoding...

Donna Thomas commented Mar 18 '14, 1:05 a.m.

UTF-8 and still doesn't work.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

One answer

permanent link
Donna Thomas (14122548) | answered Mar 18 '14, 2:59 a.m.
Line Feed – not CRLF – just LF. In Notepad it looks like a type-o… but in Notepad ++ it looks normal… so I finally turned on Notepad++ feature to show all hidden characters… and I realized – they didn’t all say CRLF… some were just LF. 

That is in the Comment field – not in the other fields. I got the other fields to work after I removed the Comment field from the import.

So – for the comment field – I found that the last record's comment exported (out of RTC 4.0.5) put in a non-printing character outside the quotes but before the end of line. I found that by removing the CRLFs from the comment field.

NO - I did not test it further to see if removing that non-printing character would fix the import of comments altogether. I was just happy I could get it to work.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Mar 18 '14, 6:14 a.m.

great that you found a solution!..

I also had to use tab delimiter when I had multi-row contents on the import (comments, description, acceptance criteria))

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.