It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does RTC have any functionality that would allow for certain people to provide the approval based on the value selected in another (enumeration) field ?

Vidhya Prakash (852833) | asked Mar 13 '14, 8:50 a.m.
Does RTC have any functionality that would allow for certain people to provide the approval based on the value selected in another (enumeration) field ?

The way we handle approvals today is by having a workflow action called  Submit SR for approval  which puts it into a workflow state of 3b - SR Waiting for Approval and then a follow-on workflow action called  Approve SR which puts it into a worflow state of 3c - SR In Progress

As an example: Based on the value that they select, either the HR team should approve the request, or the Tech Services team should approve the request.
So if the enumeration value that was selected was     HR - table update request ..   or  HR - Calendar Change request ... then only an HR person would be able to approve it.  But if the value selected was  TS - Create filesystem ... or Basis - Create security profile ...  then only a Tech Services person would be able to approve it.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Mar 13 '14, 9:16 a.m. | edited Mar 13 '14, 9:21 a.m.

far as I know, you cannot have any member of a ROLE responsible for an approval, only a person.  

currently the system provides two complimentary functions..

1.  require an approval at a particular state for a particular workitem type
     (configured in the team behavior config for a project)
2.  on approval or rejection, move the workitem to a specific state, from a specific state (configured in the process config data for a project) (for workitem type)

there is no mechanism to create the approval records automatically. 
(altho I, and others have created a system extension that does this)..

Vidhya Prakash commented Mar 13 '14, 9:46 a.m.

Sam,

Have you accomplished this feature through any API?

Also do you know if there is any enhancement that is raised regards to this feature? Any Link/WI # ?

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 13 '14, 10:48 a.m.
I built mine on top of the sample Ralph has in his blog. 

https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/a-create-approval-work-item-save-participant/

mine provides support for configuration data in the process xml (by project), and supports approval injection for any transition from any state to any state by workitem type by user or role.  and in role use different algorithms to select the approver

1st in list,
random
all
balanced (user with least pending gets next)

all fallback to scrummaster if no approver is found 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.