It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Recommendation on setting the Oracle SGA_TARGET value

John Hetrick (261012) | asked Mar 12 '14, 9:43 a.m.
edited Mar 13 '14, 4:27 a.m. by Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k375103)
 I am looking for a recommendation for the Oracle SGA_TARGET value, please.  Along with that I would like a recommendation on the amount of RAM the Oracle database server should have.

The CLM environment (JTS, CCM, QM, with DW) this instance of Oracle will support is targeted to support 250 concurrent users with a medium to medium large amount of data.  (Correlated to the CLM sizing guide.)

If there are other Oracle configuration settings that should be considered when setting the SGA_TARGET, if possible, please provide a recommendation for those as well.

Thanks
John

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Mar 12 '14, 6:12 p.m.
Hi John, without knowing the actual data statistics, any recommended value will be meaningless. Too large a value, you will waste the resources, and too small, you may have performance issue. But generally speaking, the larger the better if you can afford the hardware.
If you are not comfortable of setting any particular value, I would suggest you use automatic tuning (by setting SGA_TARGET to 0) as a starting point. Once the system is in action, you need to monitor it regularly and change the setting accordingly.
Here is some information you may be interested in.
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_sga_max_size.htm

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.