It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does merge say file is deleted when it exists in component?

Mark Williams (1147) | asked Mar 11 '14, 4:55 p.m.
When I am doing a bulk merge between two streams - I am trying to "Resolve with proposed" a file that shows the merge status as (Deleted <-> Modified) and receive the following message:  "1 item needs to be moved to a different folder in your sandbox because it's parent doesn't exist locally. You could also revert the deletion of the parent folder." I then try to move to the file folder and I get " 1 item needs to be renamed or moved to a different folder into your sandbox because a different item already exists at that location." So it appears the file exists -but- views the files as two separate file between streams.

A little explanation - we imported this code into RTC from SVN. We did not use the TRUNK scheme so we are pulling in individual branches. So for example, we had the structure in SVN: 1.0/widget/files.... and 2.0/widget/files.... These branches were imported into an RTC component WIDGET as separate imports and the 1.0 and 2.0 streams were created based on those import baselines.

Any ideas?

MArk

One answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Mar 11 '14, 6:25 p.m.
Hi Mark,
You metioned "These branches were imported into an RTC component WIDGET as separate imports and the 1.0 and 2.0 streams were created based on those import baselines."
With this scenario, you created "evil twins" in RTC. Evil Twins are the folders/files with the same name which were created in different streams of a directory. You can refer the example https://jazz.net/library/article/39#Example_6 about how to resolve the evil twins.
To avoid evil twins, you can import SVN 1.0/widget/files to RTC 1.0 stream first and create a baseline. Then create RTC 2.0 stream using the baseline, use SVN 2.0/widget/files overwrite the files of RTC 2.0 stream and check-in/deliver them, and create a new 2.0 baseline.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.