It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does the trend report display conflicting information

Patrick O'Neill (111) | asked Mar 11 '14, 6:34 a.m.
Hi
I'm using RQM 4.0.5
I have a test plan and a trend report displaying the progress of that test plan. The graph is displaying perfectly and is reporting correct status.

My issue is with the text at the bottom of the graph., e.g.
As of Mar 11, 2014 6:04:13 AM, attempted points are 9 day(s) behind plan.
The graph clearly shows we are ahead of plan and when I looked at the report yesterday it said in this text that we were 10 days ahead which is about right. For no apparent reason the text is now saying we are 9 days behind. Nothing significant has changed in the test plan since yesterday.

So, the graph and the text are not in-sync.

Any ideas on why the text is not reliable?

thanks
Patrick

Comments
Clara Forero commented Mar 11 '14, 9:32 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Patrick, could you please specify which report you are using?  Is it a BIRT or a Cognos report? 

Thanks,

Clara

2 answers

permanent link
Clara Forero (6212) | answered Mar 14 '14, 12:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Patrick,

The calculation of the days ahead (or behind) schedule is made based on the Planned Attempted and Planned Complete dates and the number of points assigned.  The report will try to find a date for which the Planned Attempted matches the Actual Attempted, it will calculate the average points per day for that range and based on that it will find the day whose points are the closest to the actual attempted points.  The difference between today's date and that found day will determine whether the process is ahead or behind schedule.

The calculation depends heavily on the points assigned, therefore an artifact with a significant amount of points can change this estimation back and forth depending on where in the date range it falls.

Thanks,

Clara

Comments
Patrick O'Neill commented Mar 15 '14, 7:37 a.m.

Clara
My problem is that the text at the bottom of the graph is not reliable.
I could look at it at 9am and it would tell me its 5 days behind schedule and then look at it again a few hours later and it would tell me we are 5 days ahead and there would have been no changes to execution records etc in the meantime.

The graph is always correct. The problem is with the text at the bottom of the graph. The values given in the text are not reliable and do not always match the graph.

Maybe the issue is around the timeframe that the nightly jobs are executed?

Patrick

permanent link
Patrick O'Neill (111) | answered Mar 11 '14, 9:51 a.m.
Clara
Thanks for responding.

How do I tell?
FYI: I am a user, not an administrator, of the system so I am simply using the out of the box report that is in RQM which is called the Execution Trend report. I have a dashboard, I select Add Widget, I select Quality Manager in the catalog, select Quality Management in the category and then select Execution Trend Report.

NOTE: I tried attaching a screenshot of it but the forum would not let me.

Patrick

Comments
Clara Forero commented Mar 12 '14, 6:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Patrick, thank you for the information.  I'll look into the report and let you know what I find.

Thanks

Clara

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.