It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Word import into Module duplicates section

Taly Hotimsky (2714557) | asked Mar 07 '14, 8:16 p.m.
 Hi.

Has anyone run into a problem when, after importing a word document and converting it to a module a section that exists once in the doc is created twice in the Module?

My section 5 (Traceability Model) was created both as section 2 and section 7, messing the whole document.

I've had this problem on my own environment (RM 4.0.3) and also on the sandbox (4.0.6) and the behavior seems exactly the same.

Comments
Taly Hotimsky commented Mar 07 '14, 9:40 p.m. | edited Mar 08 '14, 1:44 a.m.

I did some more digging and found out the root cause.

It has to do with cross-references in my text to other sections. The cross-reference is interpreted by RRC as an indication that the text should be duplicated there.
My understanding is that cross-references should be transformed into links and the current behavior is a bug. Can anyone comment?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Chase Patterson (363) | answered Mar 10 '14, 4:20 p.m.
edited Mar 10 '14, 4:22 p.m.
 I just tested this in my development environment and verified similar behavior.  I tested this with a bookmark and heading cross-references.  For each of these, the text that is referenced is duplicated at the reference point.  I would say this is defective behavior since it does not make sense to duplicate text.  

Unfortunately, it is currently a limitation that we are not able to create intra-document links.  This leaves us with two possible solutions for now: 
1. Leave it as-is where the text in a bookmark or heading may be duplicated.
2. Prevent the cross-referenced text from being duplicated at the reference point. 

I believe the correct thing to do here is option 2. I went ahead and created a defect in RTC and assigned to the back log to track future progress.

See the following:

Taly Hotimsky selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Mar 09 '14, 7:10 p.m.
RRC does not support all the Word features. Unless you see documentation saying that such a feature is supported, you cannot really say it's a defect. Limitation can be a better word for it. If supporting a particular feature is desirable, you can open an RFE for it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.