It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Defects -- Single verification changes status of whole work item

david landis (2036) | asked Mar 07 '14, 1:38 p.m.
I have a defect in Resolved/Fixed Status with two pending verifications in the Approvals tab (using web client).

When I change the state of one the Verifications to Approved, the Status of the defect automatically changes to Closed. There is still one pending Verification however, so this is not what I want to happen. I would rather the Status did not automatically change at all, but at least it should not change until all verifications are complete.

So does anyone know why this happening? Or, if there is a way to prevent this behavior? (Using RTC 4.0.4).

Thanks

Comments
sam detweiler commented Mar 07 '14, 1:46 p.m.

approvals do not cause state transitions by default.. so, someone must have configured the project  Approval Trackings. 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Mar 07 '14, 3:25 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 07 '14, 3:25 p.m.
also re : When I change the state of one the Verifications to Approved, the Status of the defect automatically changes to Closed

This is configurable from Approval Trackings section :
     "Define how an approval state change can trigger a workflow action."

reachable using :

Open PA in Eclipse Client > Process Configuration Tab >Project Configuration > Configuration Data > Work Items > Approval Trackings

Pick a Specific Work Flow > Pick a Specific State under an Approval Kind > Mention the Work Flow Action to trigger to.
david landis selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
david landis commented Mar 07 '14, 3:49 p.m.

Thanks this is helpful. However it looks like there is no option to trigger the specific workflow transition once all verifications are done. Do you know what I mean? The status should automatically change once all verifications are approved.

One other answer

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Mar 07 '14, 3:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Precondition :
     Required Approvals
is what you are looking for I believe, which states :
    "Verifies that a work item can only be saved if all required approvals are in the configured state."

here is how you reach to it :

Open PA in Eclipse Client > Process Configuration Tab > Under Team Configuration > Operation Behavior > Work Items > Save Work Item (server) > Select a Role > Preconditions > Add > Required Approvals

hope it helps

Comments
david landis commented Mar 07 '14, 3:35 p.m.

Verifies that a work item can only be saved if....

But that sounds like it is meant to prevent saving of work items. My question is about the automatic workflow transitions that are occurring in my project area.

Dinesh Kumar B commented Mar 07 '14, 3:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

i understand, the verifies ensures all approvals are in place before a transitions to a designated state, say closure... here i was mainly looking at your concern on "atleast it should not change until all verifications are complete. "

i posted another answer giving info on where this auto transition could be configured.. hope that helps... feel free to correct me, if i have missed your requirement... thanks

david landis commented Mar 07 '14, 3:56 p.m.

Ok. But you should still be able to save other changes such as new comments, etc, before the approvals are complete. It sounds like this setting would prevent that, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll experiment later. Thanks for your help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.