It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error getting Contributor of an approval record

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Mar 05 '14, 8:14 p.m.
I opened this as a PMR but was told that PMR support does not include the Java APIs (which I really find hard to believe). 

I have 2  Java programs using the java 4.0.0.1 client.  One programmatically adds an approval record of type Verification and adds an approver, and one that generates reports that reads that information.

I am getting an exception randomly on the  fetchCompleteState() call java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: itemHandle must not be null and must not have a null state id  at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.ItemManager.fetchCompleteState(ItemManager.java:1014)

The ContributorHandle that I am attempting to fetch is:
com.ibm.team.repository.common.model.impl.ContributorHandleImpl@a330a33 (stateId: <unset>, itemId: [UUID _YVcmYL87Ed2iU6ePvw_uCw], origin: com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepository@5f775f77, immutable:true)

I can see that the stateId: is <unset> but I do not know why. If I look at the work item that I am getting this on in the 4001 RTC Eclipse client, I see the Verification record and the approver (her name is listed) with a state of Pending.  I can also view her profile in the client and there is no error.

The approval record is added programmatically using this method:
    private void addWASVerificationApproval(IWorkItem wasWorkItem) {
        IApprovals approvals = wasWorkItem.getApprovals();
        List<IApprovalDescriptor> adList = approvals.getDescriptors();
        String suffix = adList.isEmpty() ? "" : " " + (adList.size() + 1);

IApprovalDescriptor descriptor = approvals.createDescriptor(WorkItemApprovals.VERIFICATION_TYPE.getIdentifier(),
"Verification - created by Bridge" + suffix);

// Create the approval
        approvals.add(descriptor);
        approvals.add(approvals.createApproval(descriptor, wasWorkItem.getCreator()));
    }

You can see I pass in the work item "getCreator()" value, which should (I would think) never be invalid.

Please assist in determining how to resolve this issue.

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 05 '14, 9:20 p.m.
edited Mar 05 '14, 9:23 p.m.
there are lots of places in the product code that checks to see if there is a fullstate available (hasFulLState()) before doing the fetchfullState.

I assume they would get an exception just like you.

let me look for an example.
Susan Hanson selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
sam detweiler commented Mar 05 '14, 9:22 p.m.

I looked at my approval injector.. I never load the contributor record.. just use the handles.

sam detweiler commented Mar 05 '14, 9:31 p.m.

I think an object without a fullstate could be injected by the importer indirectly..
(users, iterations, releases, ... are things I know of that get created by the importer.

I don't know what other conditions cause it.

sam detweiler commented Mar 05 '14, 9:35 p.m.

If you put a try/catch around this and use the auditable service (client)  to load the contributor instead of the item manager does this resolve the problem?

you should be able to test that pretty quickly, as u have a handle to access

2 other answers

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Mar 06 '14, 6:46 a.m.
So the code that reads it looks like this:
List<IApproval> individualApprovals = approvals.getContents();
for (IApproval approval : individualApprovals) {
   IApprovalDescriptor descrip = approval.getDescriptor();
   if (descrip.getTypeIdentifier().equals("com.ibm.team.workitem.approvalType.verification")) {
        if (approval.getStateIdentifier().equals("com.ibm.team.workitem.approvalState.pending")) {
               IContributorHandle owner = approval.getApprover();
               IContributor = myRepository.itemManager().fetchCompleteState(owner,null);
        }
    }
}

I am looking for pending verification records, and for each of those, I need to pull out the Contributors name and emailAddress.

I switched from itemManager to auditableClient and it seems to have resolved this issue on the one I was getting the error on.  I am running through the entire report now just to confirm.

Thanks for the pointer/suggestion.
S

Comments
sam detweiler commented Mar 06 '14, 7:16 a.m. | edited Mar 06 '14, 7:21 a.m.

and you could get just those attributes, instead of the fullstate
from one of my apps

auditableClient.fetchCurrentAuditable(owner, ItemProfile.createProfile(IContributor.ITEM_TYPE, new String[] {
                        IContributor.ARCHIVED_PROPERTY,
                        IContributor.NAME_PROPERTY,
                        IContributor.EMAIL_ADDRESS_PROPERTY }), null);

sam detweiler commented Mar 06 '14, 7:20 a.m. | edited Mar 06 '14, 7:26 a.m.

you can also run a  query for pending approvals..
| nope.. sorry, can't get the approval data out.. you can use it for a filter..
ie, process only workiems WITH a pending approval.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 06 '14, 3:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The code that creates the data is not very helpful. The code that actually fails would be more interesting.

I agree with Sam and would suggest to wrap the code with a try/catch. That way you can find out the source work item and try to figure out what goes wrong. Without looking at the code that provides the data and fails, I can't say more.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.