It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I link an artifact in requirements module to a file in the source control module v4.0.4?

Shai Millen-EL (877) | asked Mar 05 '14, 2:59 p.m.
For configuration management (CM) purposes I am using the requirements module to create records for each of the documents I have in a CM stream I created in the source control module. I would like to link the document to the record so that when I click the link to will display the current version of the document in the CM stream.  Is there any way to do this?

I do know that I could instead, upload the document as an artifact, but I'm worried may eat up space in the database by keeping duplicate copies of the same document. If I can find a way to do this with a simple link, it would also allow me to see all of the related work items in the document history, rather than linking each work item to the record manually. 

3 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Mar 06 '14, 12:59 a.m.
I don't think you can link a document in CCM directly to a requirement in RM. But you can link a work item in CCM to a requirement in RM (both directions). Does it work for you this way?

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Mar 06 '14, 10:49 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Expanding on Donald's answer ...

The existing linking schema is as follows:
  1. Requirements links to work item (typically with an "implemented by" link) -- or vice versa
  2. Work item includes reference to one or more change sets
  3. Each change set identifies files and their versions

permanent link
Shai Millen-EL (877) | answered Apr 09 '14, 11:44 a.m.
While you can't do exactly what I set out to do, I was able to find a great workaround for my fellow configuration management folks! This method allows you to use RM to create a database for document records with the added benefit of being able to link the metadata to versions of the document, to problem change requests and other work items, run CSAR and other audit reports, and maintain all of your configuration management responsibilities in one place!

Goal: Create data records (that contain document metadata) in RM that I could link to work items in CCM.
  1. Create the record (/requirement) in RM containing all of the metadata for the document and go to Links>Add Link>Link to Web.
  2. In the Link Label enter the name of the document or in my case the version of the document.
  3. In a separate window, open the web UI and access CCM and go to Source Control>Streams>Your Stream Name>Your Component and locate the file you would like to link the record to. 
  4. Once you have located the file, click the file link (no need to open the file itself, you are in the right place if the file name is displayed as a header on the page) and click the history tab. From here you have 2 options: 
    1. Link to a complete history of the file - Copy the URL and paste it into the URL to link to field in the RM window you have open and click save
    2. Link to a specific version of the file - Click the drop down for the work item associated with the version you want then click the file link (notice that when you click the file name the path just above the file name header says Source Control>{unknown workspace}). Copy the URL and paste it into the URL to link to field in the RM window you have open and click save

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.