It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

problem hidding menu item contribution in Rational tools - rational tools incompatibility?

Javier Franco Biurrun (2657) | asked Mar 05 '14, 9:52 a.m.
 Hi,

I have developed a plug-in with some new functionalities and it also hides a menu item in the builds view (by using org.eclipse.ui.activities).
It works fine in RTC, it has been tested in different computers.

However, there is a particular case where the item is not hidden from the UI, even though the other plugin functionalities are still available.
The only difference might be that this user has also installed some other rational tools.
Would it make sense that tools like "Rational Software Architecture" may prevent to hidding UI components??
Is there some kind of incompatibility among Rational tools?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

permanent link
Javier Franco Biurrun (2657) | answered Mar 06 '14, 4:47 a.m.
edited Mar 06 '14, 5:05 a.m.
We both are using the same tool (RTC 4.0.3) and the same eclipse version (3.6.3). 
What it's weird to me it's that the plugin has two main functionalities affecting the same menu in the build view:
- Adds a new menu item 
- Removes another menu item (within the same menu)
Both functionalities are successfully implemented in all the users but one. In this particular case, it is possible to see the new item added. However, the item that is supposed to be hidden, it is still present in the menu. So the plug-in partially works.. 

Below there's a code snippet:
<extension
 point="org.eclipse.ui.popupMenus">
 <objectContribution
   objectClass="com.ibm.team.build.internal.common.model.dto.IBuildResultRecord"
   id="com.ibm.team.build.internal.common.model.dto.IBuildResultRecord"
   adaptable="true">  		
  <action
   label="XXXXX"
   class="XXXXX"
   enablesFor="+"
   id="XXXXX">
  </action>
 </objectContribution>
</extension>
<extension
 point="org.eclipse.ui.activities">  
 <activity id="myActivity" name="MenuHidingActivity">  
 </activity>
 <activityPatternBinding 
  activityId="myActivity"
  pattern="com.ibm.team.build.ui/com.ibm.team.build.ui.deleteBuildResultAction">  
 </activityPatternBinding>
</extension>	

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 06 '14, 4:57 a.m. | edited Mar 06 '14, 4:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I was not even aware that you can hide menu entries in Eclipse. Thanks for this information. As I am not sure how that works (the xml above is crippled, it is unfortunate that HTM and XML barely work together I use pre as tag around code but even that struggles with the brackets.) I have no Idea what could cause it to fail. Maybe the Eclipse forums are a better place to ask?

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 06 '14, 5:46 a.m.

I would like to look into this feature and potentially write a blog about it. Would you be OK with that Javier?

Javier Franco Biurrun commented Mar 06 '14, 6:35 a.m.

I see no problem.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 05 '14, 10:32 a.m.
I don't think this has anything to do with rational tools incompatibility. This is more likely an Eclipse version and an issue with your extension.

Different tools ship with different versions of Eclipse and this can affect extensions in several ways. For one thing in your plugins you define plugin dependencies (to available versions of plugins). And your plugin might actually not start, if that version is not available. 

You could try to debug with his tool configuration or you could try to remove the minimal version entries in your plugin dependencies.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.