It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to find installed.xml with out installing a product using IIM

Neeraj Agrawal (111) | asked Mar 04 '14, 3:02 a.m.
 Guys,

I have a typical scenario at work. We need to install  IBM products and find the evidence that a particular product is installed. We are finding it through installed.xml  written in /var/ibm/installationmanager/ after installing the product. 
Is there any way can we get this file with out installing the product just from the installer file i.e binary?
We just need to get productName,Version and Publisher information from that file or from any source within the binary or repository config file. 

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Sriram

Accepted answer

permanent link
Francois-xavier Panaget (58914) | answered Mar 04 '14, 6:09 a.m.
Hi,

Which version of IBM Installation Manager are you or will you be using?
The imcl under the tools directory could help you to:
listAvailablePackages
listInstalledPackages
and more
Check the Infocenter Links (for IM 1.7 for example) for these commands.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,
François
Geoffrey Clemm selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Neeraj Agrawal commented Mar 05 '14, 9:23 a.m. | edited Mar 05 '14, 10:02 a.m.

Thanks a lot François. imcl command did the trick for me. 

/opt/IBM/InstallationManager/eclipse/tools/imcl listAvailablePackages -repositories ./repository.config -features -long
. : com.ibm.is.sterling.ssfsapps_1.0.0.20120507_1116 : IBM Sterling Applications Installer : 9.2.0 : com.ibm.is.sterling.ssfsapps.com,com.ibm.is.sterling.ssfsapps.sfs,com.ibm.is.sterling.ssfsapps.SOM,com.ibm.is.sterling.ssfsapps.sim,com.ibm.is.sterling.ssfsapps.refimpl

I am able to get the product name and version name.

sriram perumalla commented Mar 05 '14, 9:26 a.m. | edited Mar 05 '14, 10:03 a.m.

Hi Francois ,  I am sriram not neeraj agrawal , when i tried to create userid with my manager's existing ibm id, it created with neeraj agarwal. 

Thanks for the help.

Sriram

One other answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Mar 05 '14, 1:28 a.m.
If you know how to read it, the information that you are after can be found in the repository.xml file within the repository/package of each IBM product.

If you still want the installed.xml file, follow the instructions in this document. It works for all IBM products that can be installed by Installation Manager. Basically you go through the whole installation process without actually copying the bits to your machine. In this case, you need to find the installed.xml file under the path specified by the -skipInstall parameter, not the location of your Installation Manager.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/install/v1r7/topic/com.ibm.silentinstall12.doc/topics/t_silent_create_response_files_IM.html

Comments
sriram perumalla commented Mar 05 '14, 6:30 a.m. | edited Mar 05 '14, 10:02 a.m.

Thanks Donald for your reply. I have one question for you.

Not all products which use installation manager as installer technology are using repository.xml. So, i could not find repository.xml for most of the installers. 
I followed the instructions mentioned in the URL you have given.
But, still i need to install the full product as ./IBMIM is launching GUI and  is asking for repository.config location. 
Until the installation is complete, it will not produce installed.xml file under the path specified by the -skipInstall parameter.
Please provide me any other alternative to crack the setup files to extract productName, Version and Publisher information.

Thanks in Advance,
Sriram

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.