It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Tasktop Sync - Sync between HP ALM and RQM Test Artifacts ?

Christophe Lucas (86224948) | asked Feb 28 '14, 10:39 p.m.
I am evaluating Tasktop Sync between HP ALM 11 and CLM 4.0.0.1.

Tasktop Sync provides a full bi-directional copy/synchronization between:
- HP ALM Requirements and RRC Requirements
- HP ALM Defects and RTC Defects
... which means that for Requirements and Defects, HP ALM licensed-users can stay in HP ALM with no need to connect to RTC or RRC, and vice-versa, i.e. true collaboration between HP ALM and RTC/RRC users.
For example : a HP ALM user raises a Defect, which is auto copied to RTC, then a RTC user edits the Defect in RTC, and his edit is synched-back to HP ALM's Defect.  

I did not see any copy/synchronization possibility between HP ALM Test artifacts and RQM Test Artifacts.
... which means that a collaboration (like the above Defect one) is not possible for Test Artifacts, e.g. Test Cases.

Is there a reason why this HP ALM - RQM synchronization is not available for Test artifacts ? am I missing anything ?
Any plan to make it available ?

Thanks 

Comments
sam detweiler commented Mar 01 '14, 8:47 a.m.

I would ask Tasktop.

the last time i reviewed  their product (march 2013), they used a polling model to detect changes from a side copy of the data. (poll get data, compare, send change to other side)..

this means that you cannot see events between polls, only the accumulated changes.
and requires one poller for each data type and project you wish to synch. 

Polling against RTC is particularly impactful, as the request has to go all the way thru the system to the sql database on the backend.

you can tell if this model is still the approach by answering one question.. do they install a plugin into the rtc server (jts/ccm/rm/qm).. if not they must be polling.

Wesley Coelho commented Mar 01 '14, 1:19 p.m. | edited Mar 01 '14, 1:22 p.m.

Sam,

Tasktop uses efficient incremental polling that only retrieves any information that has changed. This allows for immediate synchronization so there’s no issue with information that can’t be seen between polls. The efficient incremental approach also means this doesn’t cause a significant impact to the system in practice. There’s no need to install a plugin into RTC or HP ALM because of the polling approach, as you pointed out.

Wesley Coelho
Tasktop Technologies

sam detweiler commented Mar 01 '14, 1:43 p.m. | edited Mar 01 '14, 1:49 p.m.

>Tasktop uses efficient incremental polling that only retrieves any information that has changed

I've never heard that term.. polling is polling.   if you pick up data that changed since the last poll, and it changed 12 times since the last poll, you will only see the cumulative change.. not the 12 incremental changes.

and, based on my understanding of RTC, this requires a 'query' by data type examined, (or an overly large query across all monitored types) because u can only ask workitem type changed since (date/time), you cannot ask for fields which changed.  so this is, at best, all the monitored fields for the monitored workitem types.. but you cannot tell from this whether the data in the monitored fields changed. So, you have to compare them to something.. ie.. the last state.. which must have been saved in some offline cache.  cause RTC can't give it to you.

> so there’s no issue with information that can’t be seen between polls
depends on how you define 'issue'.

and I believe you have to do this per project, so if you monitor 50 projects, thats 50 polls

Christophe Lucas commented Mar 02 '14, 5:52 a.m.

Thanks for your replies Sam, Wesley. 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Wesley Coelho (462) | answered Mar 01 '14, 1:19 p.m.
edited Mar 01 '14, 1:20 p.m.
Christophe,

Great to see that you’ve clearly understood how Tasktop Sync allows for true collaboration between HP ALM and RTC/RRC users. Tasktop Sync (and IBM RLIA Tasktop Edition) do not yet have a connector/adapter to RQM that you’re looking for though, which means RQM test cases can’t yet be synchronized in the same way. It’s best to contact Tasktop at info@tasktop.com to get an update on when that might become available.

Wesley Coelho
Tasktop Technologies
Christophe Lucas selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Christophe Lucas commented Mar 02 '14, 5:53 a.m.

Thanks Wesley for your answer. I'll probably reach out to you shortly. 

One other answer

permanent link
OpsHub Inc (11) | answered Mar 21 '17, 6:37 a.m.
Sam, Christophe,

OpsHub supports seamless integration between HP and RTC as well as we support rich test asset synchronization between HP, TFS, CA Agile Central, qtest by supporting sync of test cases, test suite, test runs and results and same can be extended for RQM too.

To see how our test artifacts integration run please schedule your custom demo here: 

RQM is in our backlog and we are sure we can work something together to have RQM on board.

Thanks,
OpsHub

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.