It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to use RTC build system to automatically build and deploy a mobile application?

Ricardo Balduino (41264) | asked Feb 26 '14, 7:42 p.m.

I'd like to put together an automated build and deployment system for Android mobile apps using IBM tools.

I want to use Rational Team Concert build system, which would execute an Ant build file, pull source code from RTC SCM, then build and deploy an Android application created with IBM Worklight.

In other words, an automated build that generates the application .apk file, deploys the application web resources and adapters to the Worklight Server, and deploys the apk file to IBM Application Center.

Does anyone have experience with or examples for similar scenario?

2 answers

permanent link
Stephane Leroy (1.4k149) | answered Feb 28 '14, 5:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ricardo,

this just pressed article (Feb 25th) from DevWorks provides some practical information in this area. Note: uDeploy is part of the scenario (in addition to RTC & Worklightt).

Regards,
Stéphane

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 27 '14, 7:21 a.m.
I don't specifically with that technology, but if u can do this with ant (having the source local), then you can get the source out of rtc.

you need a stream to contain it, and then a repository workspace for the build user where the code is 'accepted' into for the build.  lacking a current deploy tool (uDeploy coming)  I would make the deploy steps part of the post build steps in the Build Definition.

assuming u have a working ant build file this shouldn't take more than an hour to setup.

Comments
Ricardo Balduino commented Feb 27 '14, 11:12 a.m.

Thanks for replying Sam.
I have the SCM part working, my main need is to have the Android app packaged and deployed to Worklight Server automatically by the build system.
Your assumption that I need a working Ant build file is correct. That said, I'd ask if anyone has a working example of an Ant build file (that works in this specific scenario) that they could share.
Thanks.

sam detweiler commented Feb 27 '14, 11:22 a.m.

ant build.xml, like makefile, is a black art.  

even tho I use one of the logic plugins for my build file, I still have been unable to train someone else on how it works so that they could support it. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.