It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Marking files for review in RTC

Hazem Darwish (133) | asked Feb 24 '14, 7:19 a.m.
Is there a way to mark,tag or stamp files in an RTC repository ? 
The purpose is to mark specific language-dependent files within the source code for grammatical revision later. 
Could comments on change sets qualify as a solution ?

A second part is how to check for those tags or marks programmatically from within an RTC client to be able to display and filter files according to their tags among the source within the RTC  client.

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 24 '14, 12:13 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I suggest that you use the "approval" mechanism that is built-in to RTC.   You can either add an approval to the work item that is currently linked to the change set that created the version that needs revision, or you can create a new work item, and link it to that change set.   You would then use work item queries to locate the outstanding grammatical revision tasks.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 24 '14, 8:15 a.m.
Hazem,

there are no user tags for files in Jazz SCM. Versions are dome with baselines or snapshots. There is something called user properties in Jazz SCM, that allows to store user data with a file (version). These user properties are however under version control and changing them requires a change set. There are request to have user properties introduced to Jazz.net, which are not under version control.

The dialog shows the properties under version control:

there is something c

Comments
Hazem Darwish commented Feb 24 '14, 8:31 a.m. | edited Feb 24 '14, 12:08 p.m.

Hello Raph,

Thank you for your answer. 
The kind of mark I am looking for is more related to the file rather than the user. We can consider it as a sort of meta-data related to the file. The purpose is to persist into the repository a state associated with the file to allow for a simple workflow between the creator/developer of the file and another user(a reviewer) to signal the files that need review and optimally to signal the files that have been reviewed the other way around.

My idea is to develop an eclipse plugin on top of the RTC client to manipulate this desired persisted state and filter the files based on it.
Is there a solution for that or a similar concept within the SCM ?

Thanks again.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 24 '14, 8:46 a.m.

The property above is at the file level. You open the property editor for the file. It is called user property, because a user can add it. It will be visible to all users. It will stay at its value for new file versions (copy) unless you change it creating a new file version with a change.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 24 '14, 8:55 a.m. | edited Feb 24 '14, 8:56 a.m.

BTW, I am fully aware of what you try to do. I had similar discussions with other users in the same direction for similar reasons. https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=239099 tracks this and other request.

I have no real solution at hand that you could use at this time. The fact that the property is versioned does not allow to just remove it or change the general information. The tagging would work well, there is API to get at the data, so you could e.g. create a lightweight label provider or a search tool. In order to change the value, you would have to create and deliver a new change set. E.g. after the approval. I think this could work, if you can live with the fact that it is versioned.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.