It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to unload a folder loaded in RTC

Ram Chundu (18811) | asked Feb 19 '14, 4:48 p.m.
edited Feb 22 '14, 7:58 a.m. by Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan (2512)
How do I unload a folder which I have loaded earlier? For Example..I loaded folder A and B from my coponent, but no I wanted to unload folder B from my workspace/sandbox, how do I do that? I still want folder A to be loaded.

3 answers

permanent link
Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan (2512) | answered Feb 22 '14, 7:58 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
For your reference, here is documentation on "Working with files in the repository": http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m6/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.scm.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_working_with_ispf_files.html.

permanent link
Sean G Wilbur (87212421) | answered Feb 20 '14, 3:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 If the files you want to remove/unload are part of a folder that is already versioned. The best option is to not load them from the start. This type of scenario is load rules could be used, I tend to use them for build and deploy cases where I know I really only need to load a few files or folders, not the whole workspace/component.

https://jazz.net/library/article/1015#Examples

n.b.  Just note that this will slightly alter the loaded directory structure as it flattens it to only the directories you choose to load, so you may need to alter or parameterize your scripts to take this into account.

-Sean

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 20 '14, 8:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that you don't have to flatten the directory structure ... you can load the directories at the same relative pathname that they had before.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 21 '14, 1:26 a.m.

Another note: I tried the approach of loading via a load rule file which had a separate entry for the directory to be unloaded, but was not able to find a way to "unload" just that one share.  In particular, I was trying to use the --paths option of the "scm unload" command, but couldn't make it unload just the share at the specified path.  So the only approach that I found so far was to unload the whole component, edit the load rule file to remove that entry, and then reload the component using the modified load rule file.  I submitted work item Provide mechanism to unload a share (304296) asking for a way to unload a share.

Ram Chundu commented Mar 06 '14, 5:05 p.m.

I dont want to use the load rules and I guess you would get more of these sort of requests. It is common to load full component and unload a specific folder if user dont want. Is there no other way to unload a folder?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 07 '14, 1:04 a.m.

There is no way I know of other than to use load rules.

permanent link
Sean G Wilbur (87212421) | answered Feb 19 '14, 6:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
  You can actually just delete the folder, just be sure that you do not use the Team > "Delete from Repository" or corresponding scm rm command and it will just remove it from the sandbox not delete it from your workspace and save the deletion.

It's pretty safe to delete it in case you don't believe me, and if you see a pending change for the removal don't check-in/deliver that in just undo the change :)

-Sean

Comments
Ram Chundu commented Feb 20 '14, 12:57 p.m.

Folder which I wanted to delete is not an eclipse project. This case I was trying to delete them from Sandbox and then it appears again in Unresolved Pending changes. How can Unload this folder, so that it wont show in Pending Changes?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 20 '14, 2:16 p.m.

I assume that the folder is under version control.   When you say "so that it won't show in Pending Changes", I assume it is the deletion of the folder that you do not want to see in Pending Changes.  Assuming those assumptions are correct ... why do you want to unload this folder?

Ram Chundu commented Feb 20 '14, 2:59 p.m.

I wanted to download it to check and dont want to connect anymore. Reason for that is this is server folder and after I download there would be bunch of temporary files created which I dont to show in Pending changes. So all I wanted is initial download and then unload so that RTC would not recognize the Pending changes.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 20 '14, 3:44 p.m.

Why are there a bunch of temporary files created?  (still trying to understand the scenario).   In particular, whether just adding adding this directory to .jazz_ignore is a reasonable approach.

Ram Chundu commented Feb 20 '14, 3:51 p.m.

This is a server folder and with every deploy there would tmp files created (assume as temporary internet files created for every browser you open). So I just wanted to dowload the folder initially and unload it. List of temporary folders/files created are more, so adding them to ignored might not be good option. Isn't there a way to Unload one particular folder alone (just like while loading we select folders which wanted to load)?

Michael Valenta commented Feb 21 '14, 8:34 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Deleting the share is the proper approach to unloading it. Work item 285999 (The deletion of the content of a component from local sandbox is not reflected in the Eclipse GUI (285999)) was fixed in 5.0 so there is no pending deletion now when a share is deleted.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.