It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In User Profile, how do work allocations to timelines (top half) and teams (bottom half) relate?

Keith Attenborough (1368) | asked Feb 13 '14, 3:38 p.m.
I haven't found a clear explanation I can pass to my team on how the "blocks" of work allocations relate to each other in the Web UI.

On User Profile > Work Environment > Work Allocations section appears to be grouped into two sections.  The top half allows allocations against Timelines and the bottom half allows allocations against specific teams within a timeline.

How do the two types of allocations differ, particularly how the differences impact workload monitoring and reporting?

Top half - timelines only
  • Is the percent allocated to the time line only (top half)  available to be consumed by any task in the timeline independent of team?
  • Is the percent allocated to the time line only (top half) visible to all teams until it is consumed?

Bottom half - teams within timeline
  • If the a percent is allocated to a specific team, is that all that is available to the team?  Even if a percent is also allocated to the timeline?

If there is an article or answer to this posted, a link would be great.

Thanks in advance

Keith

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Feb 13 '14, 4:59 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

What version are you using? I'm trying to look at a similar page for my profile, but my Eclipse client says "To manage work assignments, open the web client".  In my web client, I'm not understanding what you refer to as "top half" and "bottom half".

Here's a snippet of my work allocation. The "top half" in this case identifies the team area and is not modifiable. The "bottom half" is the timeline for the team area and is where the percentage can be changed.

Keith Attenborough commented Feb 13 '14, 5:10 p.m.

Hi - I'm using the Web Client against V4.0.3.

Top half and bottom half refer to how the contents are group - seemingly organized into two sets.

Top half shows only timelines.  Bottom half is similar to your screen shot above;

"Top half" looks like this:
"Top half" from web client

Notice no teams called out.  Again, "Bottom half" looks like your screen shot.

That help?

Millard Ellingsworth commented Feb 13 '14, 5:30 p.m.

nope, sorry. I have a section like that in my lower portion (where there is a project area and multiple team areas under it) but I don't have a second section like it on the top half of the page. 

What is the heading for this section? There should only be 3 sections on that page: Work Location, Work Days and Work Allocation. Is it in one of those or "floating" in an area of its own? What browser are you using (and if you try a different one, does it behave differently)? https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSystemRequirements403#B2_Browsers

Keith Attenborough commented Feb 13 '14, 8:07 p.m.

I guess I shouldn't have used the term section (I speak sorta English, not Engineering and thus frequently confuse folks :-) ).

It's not a formal section of the page.  As you said there are three true sections - Work Location, Work Days and Work Allocation.  Within Work Allocation RTC seems to order the information so Timelines (without Teams - my screen shot) are at the top of the list, then Teams (with an indented Timeline - your screenshot) are at the bottom of the list.

I'm trying to figure out how the two relate/interact.

That any clearer?

Keith

Millard Ellingsworth commented Feb 14 '14, 11:46 a.m.

well done, I get it now. I expect what is happening is that the display is organized by "process area" -- a team area is a process area as is a project area. If someone is in a process area, they are available to work on its timelines, so all relevant timelines are shown and available for allocation. Your "top half" and "bottom half" mean the same thing -- what percentage of their time should be allocated to work assigned to that timeline.

In general, I don't recommend that people be in a project area unless they have project area-level responsibility (general management, stakeholder, maybe scrum master, etc.). If work needs assigning, there should be teams and people assigned just to the teams they really work on -- this will improve the display here.

Keith Attenborough commented Feb 14 '14, 5:41 p.m.

Thanks for this response - it's beginning to make sense.  And fortunately, I'm probably the only (or one of a couple) person who is in the project area.

A follow up - if I allocate my time directly to a timeline in the "top half", is that amount of time available or associated to any team I'm a member of in that timeline?  If so, is it evenly divided?

If I use the bottom half, then I can clearly see how my time is allocated across teams in the same timeline.  So looks like that could be the better choice.

Thoughts?

Keith

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

One answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Feb 14 '14, 5:56 p.m.
It's not really a top-half/bottom-half sort of thing. Visually, it may appear that way, but it is just a list of process areas and the timelines associated with them for the current user. There should not be any duplicates when you consider the combination of process (team or project) area and timeline (though if you have several to many teams, the "Main Development" timeline will appear under each one associated with it). 

It's totally a matter of happenstance that your project area (and its multiple timelines) appears at the top of your display -- the process areas areas are sorted alphabetically. In my trimmed example above, the project area appears about 2/3 of the way down the list. I'd think it would be a bit less confusing if the archived items were hidden.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.