It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Dependent value list problem

Namit Pande (6311319) | asked Feb 13 '14, 2:24 p.m.
edited Feb 19 '14, 2:02 p.m. by Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan (2512)
I am on clm 4.0.5. I am trying to setup a dependent value list based on the documentation here:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_configuring_dependent_enumeration.html&scope=null

I would like to populate certain values in a custom attribute called subStatus based on the Status field.
It is very easy to setup, however I am running into couple of issue:
1). When I change the status field, subStatus remain unchanged and shows the old values. New values are shown only after the work item is saved.
2). After saving the WI into a new status, the subStatus field shows the red asterisk next to the dropdown box to indicate that the value provided is invalid. Why is it saving the WI at first place with invalid value and not providing the correct values dynamically at the time of status field change?

I know that this question has been asked many times in the past and this feature was worked on in the previous versions by RTC development team as per the post here:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=123579

I would like to know how everyone is using this feature and how I can implement it correctly. I am pretty sure I may have missed something.

Thanks.
Namit

Comments
sam detweiler commented Feb 13 '14, 2:47 p.m.

sounds like u missed the configuration in the field presentation. where the dependency field is defined

Namit Pande commented Feb 13 '14, 2:52 p.m.

Thanks Sam for your response. I do have the dependencies value defined as "Status". And as I mentioned before in my original post, I am able to see the values once I save the WI with the new status. Ideally, the values in subStatus field should reflect new valid values as soon as the value changes in the Status field.

sam detweiler commented Feb 13 '14, 3:00 p.m. | edited Feb 13 '14, 3:58 p.m.

in the UI config (not the attribute config, not the enum config, not the valueset config)
subStatus is dependent on Status

in the attribute presentation for subStatus, there is a box at the bottom of the dialog, dependencies.. add Status to that for the subStatus presentation definition

sam detweiler commented Feb 13 '14, 4:14 p.m.

in the doc u reference. step 4.  lower branch values are dependent on upper branch values.

Namit Pande commented Feb 13 '14, 4:22 p.m.

Hi Sam,
See the attached screenshot.

I am still not clear what I missed.

Thanks.
Namit

sam detweiler commented Feb 13 '14, 4:26 p.m.

hm.. no idea.. Status is the name of the attribute that holds the parent level enum value, right?

Namit Pande commented Feb 13 '14, 4:35 p.m.

Yeah, subStatus is one level below Status. So in your case, the dependent values show up as soon as you change the parent level or do you have to save the WI to see the changes in the dependent list?

sam detweiler commented Feb 13 '14, 4:57 p.m.

mine changes the sub item to  its default value when the parent entry is selected. then u have to select from the next set, repeat however many levels u have.. (I have had 4)..

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

Accepted answer

permanent link
Namit Pande (6311319) | answered Feb 13 '14, 4:58 p.m.
Good to know Sam that the feature is not broken and works for some (most). May be a pmr is in order.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 18 '14, 7:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi guys,

I see more and more answered as unanswered, because all the answers are in the comments. This is not helpful. Please either provide an answer, after finally finding one, or, after the question was sufficiently answered, close the answer.

I assume the question is answered. Please, if you provide a PMR, put it in as comment to the answer.

sam detweiler commented Feb 18 '14, 7:41 a.m.

it would be nicer if there wasn't a distinction between the two forum artifacts.  

an answer is just a comment that has been marked. 
also, the comment length restriction is a pain that should be removed.

sam detweiler commented Feb 18 '14, 10:57 a.m.

Namit, sorry to bother u. but i started thinking about this again.. 

you did create the valueset that tied the two enumerations together, right?
this builds the tree, the dependency is the trigger

Namit Pande commented Feb 18 '14, 11:13 a.m.

Sam, you are not bothering me. In fact, I appreciate you guys looking out for us newbies. Yes, I did create the valueset for Status and subStatus and setup the dependent values appropriately. As I said earlier, they are reflected only after the status change is saved and the invalid subStatus value is getting saved as well, which is odd.

Ralph, you are right. I was also thinking on the same line but wanted to have a resolution from the pmr before I marked an answer. But I will update the post once I have got something back from IBM.

One other answer

permanent link
Namit Pande (6311319) | answered Mar 13 '14, 10:56 a.m.
After submitting the pmr, IBM has identified it as a defect:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=307278&tab=com.ibm.team.workitem.tab.links

I am going to implement the feature as is (broken) and hope to be able to get it working once the fix is released.

Comments
N Z commented Mar 13 '14, 5:14 p.m.

Is this a problem identified in 4.0.5? I don't seem to recall having this problem with 4.0.3. 

Namit Pande commented Mar 14 '14, 9:30 a.m.

@NZ, it looks like it. I am told that the issue also exists in 4.0.6 as well.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.