It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Notify a service to update a work item, based on event.

John Doran (9182) | asked Mar 18 '09, 6:25 p.m.
I have a parent work item and its children work items. Is it possible to have a way of notifying a service to update the parent based on a change in a (custom) attribute or the state of one of its children?

I have been looking at IChangeEventService, IFeedService, IWorkItemListener

and

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/FoundationNotifierTutorial#Example but I am not sure what direction to go in yet. Any advice would be great.

One answer

permanent link
John Doran (9182) | answered Mar 31 '09, 6:08 p.m.
Okay let me rephrase my question ...

1. When a work item gets created, can I call/notify a service?

2. When a work item changes state, can I call/notify a service?

It seems one way to implement this would be to create a task that extends AbstractAutoScheduledTask and queries for certain change events when it is periodically run by the server. I think of this as polling.

3. Is there another way where the work item is observed by the service and does a callback when it changes state?

4. If not, can someone point me in the right direction for setting up and running a simple auto-task? I read the QueryDevGuide and saw the ReminderTask but I haven't figured out how to run it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.