It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error running SCM cli command - Gdk-CRITICAL and Pango-CRITICAL messages

p m n (271913) | asked Feb 12 '14, 1:43 a.m.
edited Feb 12 '14, 1:44 a.m.
I'm unable to run any SCM CLI command (starting with the "SCM login" command) on my Linux box. These commands stopped working earlier in the day today when I cancelled an "SCM load" command that had just started executing. Since then any attempt to run an SCM command dumps the below mentioned errors on the screen.

Command: 
scm login -r https://projectclm:9443/ccm/ -n local -u pmn
Output: 
(Scm:3673): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
(Scm:3673): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
(Scm:3673): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
(Scm:3673): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(Scm:3673): Gtk-WARNING **: Screen for GtkWindow not set; you must always set
a screen for a GtkWindow before using the window
(Scm:3673): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
(Scm:3673): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
(Scm:3673): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
(Scm:3673): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
(Scm:3673): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_new: assertion `context != NULL' failed
(Scm:3673): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_set_text: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
(Scm:3673): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_set_attributes: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
(Scm:3673): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_set_alignment: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
(Scm:3673): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_set_ellipsize: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
(Scm:3673): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_set_single_paragraph_mode: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
(Scm:3673): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_set_width: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
(Scm:3673): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_get_extents: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
(Scm:3673): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
(Scm:3673): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
(Scm:3673): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_size_lookup_for_settings: assertion `GTK_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed
(Scm:3673): Gtk-WARNING **: Invalid icon size 6
(Scm:3673): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_theme_load_icon: assertion `GTK_IS_ICON_THEME (icon_theme)' failed
Memory fault

Host details:
RTC version: 4.3
SCM tools version: 3.1

What might be the issue and how do I fix this?

2 answers

permanent link
p m n (271913) | answered Mar 05 '14, 7:31 p.m.
edited Mar 05 '14, 7:31 p.m.

I came to realize that whenever I executed 'scm' from the UNIX shell, I was actually executing a file called 'scm' with malformed options instead of the actual scm utility. This 'scm' file was created, by mistake, when a malformed SCM command was piped to it. As luck would have it, this file was stored in a folder in PATH, ahead of the folder that contained the SCM utility. The malformed file has since been deleted and I'm glad to announce that the scm command has started working again. :)

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Feb 12 '14, 4:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 12 '14, 4:46 a.m.
Did you change the DISPLAY value? This happens usually if the DISPLAY is not set correctly.
By the way, are you running as root? If so, can you try to login as another user and see if it works?

Comments
p m n commented Feb 12 '14, 6:21 p.m.

Hi Shashikant,

The display value was not changed. Its value is localhost:10.0. And no, I'm not running as root (I've logged in using a generic non-root UNIX account). 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.