It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is pulling the Comments and Description fields into the Data Warehouse going to cause issues down the line due to their size?

Michael Walker (99215201157) | asked Feb 11 '14, 4:47 p.m.
One of the teams we support wants to pull the Comments and Description form Work Items into the Data Warehouse for reporting purposes.  The reason is they have vendors who they need to send work item information to and some of the necessary information is in the Description and Comment fields.

I've noticed these fields were left out of the Data Warehouse and I'm guessing it was because of the size of those fields and how large the Data Warehouse will get and potentially have issues down the line.

Is this a valid concern and would the recommendation be against pulling these fields into the Data Warehouse?

Thanks

Comments
Michael Walker commented Feb 14 '14, 5:07 p.m.

bump bump bump

Lily Wang commented Feb 15 '14, 5:51 a.m.

Hi Michael,
You can only customize the ETL process to include description and comments using Rational Insight.

Michael Walker commented Feb 17 '14, 3:31 a.m.

Thanks Lily for the response.  We are using Insight.  My concern was how pulling these large fields into the Data Warehouse will affect performance in the future.

One answer

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Feb 17 '14, 5:03 a.m.
Hello Michael,

as far as I know, description and comments have not been included by development in the data warehouse, as all the larger fields (more that 1000 characters, I think), for performance reasons.
So your concern is indeed valid.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.