It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RRC 4.0.4 are there recommended best practices for linking within modules?

Phil Barrett (33911) | asked Feb 11 '14, 3:02 p.m.
The challenge I have is that it is difficult to build a traceability view that shows end to end traceability across 4 daisy chained artifacts. The only way to accomplish that appears through linking the Base artifacts only, but then you lose the context that can be set for an artifact within a module. In many instances it is that very context that allows you to better understand what you should be tracing an artifact to.

3 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Feb 26 '14, 7:21 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I don't quite follow you question/issue, but let me comment anyway :-)
  • You can link between base artifacts; as I recall these links will be available in every module the base artifacts are used in.
  • You can link between artifacts in the context of a module. In this case the links will only exist in that module (and any copies you make of the module).

Comments
Phil Barrett commented Mar 01 '14, 9:54 a.m.

Thanks for your response Daniel. What we struggle with is the module provides great context in understanding how the artifacts (in our case let's use artifacts of type = requirement) might be grouped and creates an opprotunity to identify gaps and the possibility of adding a missing requirement right into the Module. The core requirment artifact is then linked multiple ways (to a business requirment, design artifact and test case). To be able to link that base artifact from within the module that provided that context, to another base artifact is key. Other wise the traceability is limited to the module itself. So if someone creates a design spec within a Design Module and links to a requirement artifact from within that module the traceability for that deisgn spec to requirment is limited wittin that Module and I can't open the business requirement at the neginning of the chain see the trace all the way to design spec.

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Mar 03 '14, 7:19 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Phil you wrote:

>>> To be able to link that base artifact from within the module that provided that context, to another base artifact is key. Other wise the traceability is limited to the module itself. So if someone creates a design spec within a Design Module and links to a requirement artifact from within that module the traceability for that deisgn spec to requirment is limited wittin that Module and I can't open the business requirement at the beginning of the chain see the trace all the way to design spec.

I still don't quite understand why you need to do linking at the base artifact level.  Do you want to reuse artifacts for multiple products or multiple releases?  Is there some other reason that you cannot work only in modules? 

Let's consider the latter possibility for a moment. What if you were to "forget" that there are base artifacts and only work in modules? Could you organize your work like this?
  1. Module with business requirements
  2. Module with system requirements
  3. Module with design information
Plus links between relevant artifacts in each module, for example:
  1. System requirements satisfy business requirements
  2. Design artifacts elaborate system requirements
Where the scope for these modules are the smallest granularity of reuse.  So instead of thinking about reusing a base system requirement, you thought about reusing a set of 3 modules (business + system + design).

And by the way you can set up a view in the system requirements module showing links both to business requirements and design information, e.g.,
  • [COLUMN1], [COLUMN2], [COLUMN3]
  • Satisfies links, Systems requirement, Elaborated by links

permanent link
Rama SCM (4111320) | answered Apr 24 '18, 12:37 p.m.

Hi Phil/Daniel,

When you establish traceability between different requirement (i.e. business + system + design) in module context and now you have to link Test Cases to the requirement. What context will it be linked to? will traceability be  available in module context or base artifact context? How will you achieve end to end traceability. I have noticed that if you establish traceability in module context and create collection to link to test plan and create test case you won't see end to end traceability.

Thanks!
Rama

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.